• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

- Thermal Images - DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D & SLI-DR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter

' ' The next photo shows the back of the board. Drawing your attention to the center is the processor, glowing hot at 72.9 °C. When this image was taken ITE Smart Guardian showed a CPU temp of 43 °C.' '

2.jpg

' ' In the previous photograph the temperature scale was stretched way out of range to show the extreme heat of the chip. In this next photo we see a mirror of the previous with a new scaling to bring into perspective the other temperatures of the SLI video cards.' '

14a.jpg

Did a search and found a small thread in the DFI section about this article.
Thought if it was presented here more might benefit from it since the images
reveal some interesting hot spots.

Those with the reviewed board should check out the image arctic-k20 was kind
enough to provide in this thread :
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=389979

:santa2:

Last edited:
that would be a cool type of camera to have. Then you couldnt go wrong in fan placement like sewerbeing mentioned.

FFS! 79c compared to the comp reading 43c?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats outrageous! Simply horrible!

Glad you like. :santa2:
Even those with different systems can come away from this with a better understanding
of where to concentrate their assault on our sworn enemy - heat.

The two things which most intrigued me were how hot the CPU fan bearing was.
And that one of the hottest components of all was the SMART Guardian chip (labeled "A"
in the second image above) which is used to monitor temps. ... ' '92.9 °C!!!' '

Good point w/ the temp monitor chip Sus, that head that that chip is putting out could VERY likely be throwing it temp monitoring abilities way off.

WOW, awesome pics and good info for any board, not just DFI's. Although I would have guessed that those areas could be considered "hot spots", I had no idea to what extent, that is jsut CRAZY!!!

What do you guys think that little green spot is that shows up on the pic of the back of the motherbord to the bottom right of the backplate?

jcw122 said:
FFS! 79c compared to the comp reading 43c?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats outrageous! Simply horrible!
I'd consider it normal - there are some resistors without cooling, so it's not really CPU temp.
I thnk that only ASUS used PCB with improved thermal conductivity to spread heat and minimize this issue.

Where there's no airflow, hot spots will appar - that's why I consider running WC rigs without proper case airflow pretty bad and why I think that Zalman passive case is POS.

Back