• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi Deskstar T7K250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AEsnowboarding

These drives seem like they are very fast. I was thinking about getting two and putting them in Raid 0. But I know of the Deathstars of old and I was wondering how the reliablity is for these drives. How do they compair to WD? And how is their service if one was to go bad?

The 7k250 series that these drives replaced exhibited excellent reliability. I haven't had one die on me yet, and I've used 15 or so. Hitachi service and support is fabulous, just go to their website and get your RMA. These drives have a lot better seek performance than the 7200rpm WDs, and as a result are much snappier in practice. My favorite 7200rpm drive for a boot volume, with only the Raptor74 being preferred.

If you are getting the T7K250, be sure that your motherboard supports SATA II. If it does, use the hard drive's installation disk to enable SATA II (it comes disabled by default).

CJ

The SATA II is a very good feature, but check if your motherboard supports it, as you are probably better off getting something else if you can't fully utilize that drive.

AEsnowboarding said:
These drives seem like they are very fast. I was thinking about getting two and putting them in Raid 0. But I know of the Deathstars of old and I was wondering how the reliablity is for these drives. How do they compair to WD? And how is their service if one was to go bad?

I have two, and they are exceptionally fast in RAID 0. I have some benchmarks posted in one of these threads which I can link to if need be.

Also, know that you'll only be able to run the HD's at SATA 150 with your NF3 motherboard. Fortunately, they should not take a large performance penalty in doing so.

deception``

deception`` said:
Also, know that you'll only be able to run the HD's at SATA 150 with your NF3 motherboard. Fortunately, they should not take a large performance penalty in doing so.

deception``
That's because drives like this can only muster <75MB/s STR. 150MB/s is plenty of interface bandwidth, you couldn't tell the difference if you reduced it to 100MB/s.

XP Install Problem with T7k250

I have the 250gb version and i have been trying to install windows xp on this drive directly for the past few weeks.(have had no internet connection :bang head ). i have the Abit NF7S v2.0.

windows xp does the blue screen install to copy files over then when it restarts it goes stupid.

now i can use xp if i slave off the drive with another but i just wanted to use it as my main drive

Have you tried installing it with the other drives disconnected? WinXP has some trouble installing to a SATA drive when you have an IDE hard drive installed as well.

CJ

Back