• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bootable RAID 0 with nForce 3 issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Howdy,

I pulled an almost all nighter finishing up this water cooled rig I'm building and I'm having problems with the RAID. Here's the parts:

Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
a64 3500+
1GB Corsair XMS DDR400
2 Western Digital 36GB Raptors

As the titile of the thread suggests, I can create the RAID 0 with no problem, but in the nVidia RAID Utility where you are supposed to hit the "B" key to make it bootable, it is greyed out.

I tried with the original BIOS and the newest one from the Gigabyte website, neither worked.

I have had experience with numerous RAID setups (probably 30+) including RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 3, and 5 but I can't figure this one out. If I hook the SATA data cables into the other onboard RAID controller (a SIS chipset) then I can create the RAID with no trouble.

What gives with this nForce 3 chipset? I would prefer to use it as the RAID controller since runs directly off of the south bridge which, I assume, would be faster than the other controller that is running through the PCI bus.

Thanks in advance.

*update*

No matter which RAID controller I use, the Silicon Image or the nf3, when XP starts to install it lists the hard drives as two seperate drives instead of an array.

Weird.

Back