• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Mushkin PC6400 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its not much of a gain when going past 1:1 but it does help. Im not exactally sure what you are looking for in the bench but I will be glad to accomadate.

whoz--
No, I am out of state :) I thought they are in Colorado? Maybe they have a retail place in Cali and have to charge sales tax there too? I was actually kinda wavering on getting it until I saw the coupon and free shipping. It was a good deal, no 2 ways about it...

Ross said:
whoz--
No, I am out of state :) I thought they are in Colorado? Maybe they have a retail place in Cali and have to charge sales tax there too? I was actually kinda wavering on getting it until I saw the coupon and free shipping. It was a good deal, no 2 ways about it...
I have no idea. Give em a call. Also be sure to use the ROJAK coupon

How long is the ROJAK coupon good for? How long of a wait is it from order until it's at your door? I plan on picking up a set of these on payday. It'll be the final purchase for my new rig! I'm pretty excited.

Xris said:
How long is the ROJAK coupon good for? How long of a wait is it from order until it's at your door? I plan on picking up a set of these on payday. It'll be the final purchase for my new rig! I'm pretty excited.
I ordered mine mid afternoon and they shipped it out that day.

Well their order status page does not work. Mine still shows as having not shipped, so I called today to see if there was a problem. It did actually ship the day I ordered it. Unfortunately, FedEx is apparently 3 days from CO->TX since it makes a stop in TN. That's efficient...LOL.

Oh well, mobo (P5WD2) and 6400 will both be here on Friday then, so I'll have a nice weekend :D

Wow, they actually showed up today! I just stuck them in and haven't really done anything yet. Two things I've noticed: 1) my OC was immediately no good. I had to jack up the Vc to get it to boot. Vdimm was already at 2.2, so I left it there. 2) these sticks run warm. I can't believe how much noticeably warmer the spreaders are compared to the XMS2 Pro they are replacing.

Ross said:
Wow, they actually showed up today! I just stuck them in and haven't really done anything yet. Two things I've noticed: 1) my OC was immediately no good. I had to jack up the Vc to get it to boot. Vdimm was already at 2.2, so I left it there. 2) these sticks run warm. I can't believe how much noticeably warmer the spreaders are compared to the XMS2 Pro they are replacing.

you had to up your vcore because of the new memory? or you just overclocked it more after you got the new memory?

No, I had to up the Vc with the Mushkin to get it to boot at the OC I've been using for months on XMS2 5400 Pro. I really don't know if this stuff just works like butt with the P5AD2-E or if I got some bum sticks. The highest it will load XP and not lock up with 5-3-3-8 is DDR730...and that's with Vdimm at the BIOS max (2.2V) and the NB at the BIOS max (1.80V).

Right now I've set all voltages back to default and dropped my Vc back down to 1.28V (where it's been for months). I dropped the FSB and ratios to adjust it to DDR706 with 5-3-3-8. It seems to be OK here, but a far cry from the DDR800 it's supposed to run with those latencies on "1.9-2.1V"

What scares me is that it won't even POST > DDR780 even using SPD timings (5-5-5-15). The XMS2 would even do that no problem @ 4-4-4-12 without even touching the NB voltage. I will mess around with it more later on this mobo, but my only hope is going to be that P5WD2 that will be here tomorrow is what is needs. Short of that, this is what I get for not staying with Corsair :bang head

Ross said:
No, I had to up the Vc with the Mushkin to get it to boot at the OC I've been using for months on XMS2 5400 Pro. I really don't know if this stuff just works like butt with the P5AD2-E or if I got some bum sticks. The highest it will load XP and not lock up with 5-3-3-8 is DDR730...and that's with Vdimm at the BIOS max (2.2V) and the NB at the BIOS max (1.80V).

Right now I've set all voltages back to default and dropped my Vc back down to 1.28V (where it's been for months). I dropped the FSB and ratios to adjust it to DDR706 with 5-3-3-8. It seems to be OK here, but a far cry from the DDR800 it's supposed to run with those latencies on "1.9-2.1V"

What scares me is that it won't even POST > DDR780 even using SPD timings (5-5-5-15). The XMS2 would even do that no problem @ 4-4-4-12 without even touching the NB voltage. I will mess around with it more later on this mobo, but my only hope is going to be that P5WD2 that will be here tomorrow is what is needs. Short of that, this is what I get for not staying with Corsair :bang head

WTF? That's *****. Hopefully it's your P5AD2-E, we will see. Anyway, I recieved mine this morning. I won't be able to test it for another week or two though.

Tell me about it. Hurry up and get yours in so I can see if it's just me ;) I emailed their tech support to see if there are any "known issues" with the P5AD2-E, but it was already late in the afternoon and I haven't received anything back yet.

I've definitely tried everything, including raising my Vc from 1.28->1.48V, maxing Vdimm/NB voltages and even hanging some fans over the sticks. Nothing will get it to POST any higher than DDR735 with 5-3-3-8 timings (and 735 is even iffy).

Unless these are "only" designed to work with 955X that I haven't seen, I think I just have some problem mem :rolleyes: I'll keep you posted when I hear back from Mushkin and/or what happens with the P5WD2...whichever comes first...

OK, I just found something out, but I am not sure what it means. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it hit me like a bolt of lightning while I was watching TV...lol. I pulled one stick out to run it single channel and DDR800 5-3-3-8 is no problem at all. It doesn't even think about not booting. I first tried it at DDR760 SPD and then DDR795 SPD and then DDR800 5-3-3-8 without a single hiccup on any try.

I tried each stick separately in single channel @ DDR800 5-3-3-8 and had no problems whatsoever running either stick alone. Running both sticks in dual channel is THE issue. Maybe the 955X MCH really is what it needs? Maybe voltage reg on the P5AD2-E just doesn't cut it on 2 slots with this mem for some reason?

I might not put any orders on hold just yet unless you have a P5AD2-E :D If it cranks up DC DDR800 in the P5WD2 tomorrow, we'll know P5AD2-E just doesn't cut it with this mem...

OK, P5WD2 is in and all Mushkin issues are gone! I am keeping it on air cooling for about a week so there won't be any massive clocks coming in the next few days, but I am happy to say that I reinstalled XP with the Mushkin at DCDDR800 5-3-3-8 without one single issue on default everything. I am going to guess this proves that the P5AD2-E is just not the mobo for this mem, which is just too bad. Whether it's the chipset or the voltage reg, I don't know, but it just doesn't work well in DCDDR mode in that board.

One other thing, I have an Enable option in my LockFree, so I will still be able to run my 550 > 300 FSB as soon as the better cooling goes back in :)

CRANK that **** up man. This stuff is the new BH5. Fire up the volts straight to 2.3 and push for 1ghz.

Btw I get the same issue, for some odd reason this stuff doesnt like high timings :confused:

LOL...soon enough :) The Asus Probe II is pretty nice compared to the old one. Too bad neither SpeedFan nor MBM get any voltage readings, only CPU and Case temps :(

I'll keep you posted when I start turning it up...

Ross said:
LOL...soon enough :) The Asus Probe II is pretty nice compared to the old one. Too bad neither SpeedFan nor MBM get any voltage readings, only CPU and Case temps :(

I'll keep you posted when I start turning it up...
Cant wait :)

Back