• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Mushkin PC6400 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got mine on wednesday. I popped it in and was surprised that my new build posted without a hitch . . . then I saw that the RAM is running @ pc2-5300 ...

Oops, I forgot to run a memtest like I said I would. I ran 300FSB/DDR1000 instead of trying to max it out (am in the middle of working on the case/WC). In any event, at 5-3-3-8, there were no errors through 2 passes. I will run it again at higher FSB when I get everything back together...

memtest-1000.jpg

Sen's a h4x0r. How much did this ram improve 3dmark? Just curious...

out of interest, why are you not running at 1:1, that mem is rated over that fsb you are running, is it because you have lowered the timings ?

thedoc said:
out of interest, why are you not running at 1:1, that mem is rated over that fsb you are running, is it because you have lowered the timings ?
We cant run 500mhz 1:1 Thats the issue here. The chipset can handle maybe 340.

Hey guys I have my computer working finally, so I want to oc these puppies. How did you guys get tighter timings? How come on cpu-z it shows like this:

oc4jg.gif

[this is my 4ghz (250x16) oc]

My Cycle Time is 18 clocks and yours is 8. The mem is on stock voltage (auto), what would be a safe thing to bump it up to?

Man, that's weird...maybe a bug in CPU-Z or the speed programming of the mem?

To change the timings, in BIOS go to Advanced->Chipset and where it says Config DRAM: BySPD, change it to Manual. That will allow you to alter the mem timings yourself. Note that the order of the latencies in the BIOS are not the same order as viewed in CPU-Z.

Under Advanced->Jumperfree, setting that to manual will allow you to alter FSBs and voltages. Setting 2.30V on the memory shouldn't be a problem at all, but it's your call. On that board, it will give only about 2.22V actual and the increased voltage will help with timings/speed. Increasing MCH (memory controller hub/northbridge) can help stability/mem OCs, but I would at least put a fan over the NB sink to keep it cool.

That is what CPU-Z shows if you do not manually set your timings in the bios. Kind of a pain in the butt because it wont show you what the SPD has the timings set at if you have it set to automatically adjust your timings by SPD.

Sentential said:
Almost forgot to mention that it comes with a nice case-badge. <see far right silver>

IMG_1974.jpg

...and a nice pen (which I have lost already...again :mad: )

Soon as my vcard gets here Ill push it some more, but right now I cant do crap until it does :cry:

I have a picture of it running in the 1015-1025 zone yet I forgot to take it off my PC before i yanked the card :cry:

Yea, those pens are the sh*t. I remember when I ran down to their place in denver they replaced my bh-5 sticks (heatspreader was bent and crushed one of the chips) and I got a pen and a 256 stick to mess around with. I'll probably always buy mushkin just because they tested my sticks, confirmed they were bad, and replaced them no questions asked.

Just ordered myself a 2x1gb kit of this Mushkin6400 and I cannot wait to be running DDR2-1000 +. I will def post my results with the 2x1gb. sticks.

RangerXLT8 said:
Just ordered myself a 2x1gb kit of this Mushkin6400 and I cannot wait to be running DDR2-1000 +. I will def post my results with the 2x1gb. sticks.
Please do. I look foreward to seeing it. Brian is supposedly getting me a 2GB set for me to keep. Once they get here Ill post my results as well.

I tried to buy a pair of 2x1gb kit a while back. If they are for sure in stock now I think I'll try again.

hyperasus said:
I tried to buy a pair of 2x1gb kit a while back. If they are for sure in stock now I think I'll try again.

I ordered mine from Newegg for 455.00 so I know there instock there and I know Mushkin has them for about 50 bucks cheaper on their site but I also was ordering 2 gb. of Geil Value Ram for my friend who does not have a CC\Paypal and Newegg had the kit he needed.... Nonetheless from what I've seen it's the best DDR2 on the market right now along with the Corsair XMS2 8000UL.

It should be here thursday so we'll see then how it preforms..

Back