• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Celerons Suck.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

autolex84

Disabled
umm yeah, my A64 3000+ does a 1M super pi calc in about 44 Seconds at 2.0 GHz. Damn 2.8 GHz Celeron does it in 2 minutes and 4 seconds... glad its not my computer (its the computer we use at work for internet access.)

Attachments

• Celeron Suckage 2.JPG
    Celeron Suckage 2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,459
Petition to rename thread to "Why Celerons suck if you want good performance" :p

Celerons, especially the older ones, do suck at stock performance wise. However if all you do is browse the net and do word processing....?

Well it sucks, but superpi is not a test for Celeron, especially one with 100mhz fsb. not fair. doesn't mean that a cpu that can do it in 30 sec is 6x faster.

Celerons can be made to suck less. I was able to do a 44 second superpi with a 2.4ghz Celeron. Of course it was OC to 4.2ghz, that helped. 2:4 is a horrible score though, considering my PIII 850mhz lappy does the 1M in about 2:50.

a celeron D @ 2.4ghz costs about 50 bucks, about 1/3 the price of an A64, it'll do 4ghz on air cooling provided with the right equipment, lol in another word it'll be about 9/10 of that A64 performance for 1/3 the price. yes a celeron D @ 4.0ghz is mighty quick. my lowly P4 that costs 100 bucks wip out 37sec on PI 1M lol, kindda low but good enough, it's probably gonna be quicker than an AMD64 @ encoding though.

Last edited:
Comparing Celerons to A64's is like comparing apples to....lemons? lol.

You gotta understand that the celeron is designed to be a workhorse cpu. It's not designed to be a speed demon. Much like the Durons.

Nebulous said:
Comparing Celerons to A64's is like comparing apples to....lemons? lol.

You gotta understand that the celeron is designed to be a workhorse cpu. It's not designed to be a speed demon. Much like the Durons.
So many don't yet know the abilities of the Celeron "D" and they go on with old information muddying the waters of newer technology.

My Celeron "D" @ 3.8GHz is on an even par with my wife's Pentium 4 2.4C @ 3.4Ghz on all tests but two, they being database number crunching in the order of 100MB+ databases and multi-media encoding. Tested against an A64 3000+ it takes the Athlon out as well. For an $80.00(CAN) CPU it is actually quite awesome. You may at least wish to test the cpu before making blanket statements regarding the Celeron "D" Prescott architecture. Or not.

There are those who wish to gain the best bang for their buck and at the moment there is no Athlon that can compete dollar for dollar, work unit for work unit (work done per tick) and mhz for mhz with an oveclocked Celeron "D". When I say that I am also saying that there is no Athlon in the same dollar value that will overclock as well either.

R

celerons suck....because...128k (or for the D's 256k) cache, my P3 pos is slower on clock speed but is stilll much better, has a higher fsb (no multi, so) and does super Pi in 47 seconds....un overclocked! the only reason to actually buy celery is because you have no money, or you just want your system to suck :D

hainer36 said:
celerons suck....because...128k (or for the D's 256k) cache, my P3 pos is slower on clock speed but is stilll much better, has a higher fsb (no multi, so) and does super Pi in 47 seconds....un overclocked! the only reason to actually buy celery is because you have no money, or you just want your system to suck :D

There is absolutely no way that can be true. No P3 can do SPI in less then a minute no matter how far you clock it.

And to repeat and repeat and repeat...Celly D's aren't as half as bad as the Northwoods were.

I have a hard time beleiving that as well. Do you have a screenshot?

Sjaak said:
There is absolutely no way that can be true. No P3 can do SPI in less then a minute no matter how far you clock it.

And to repeat and repeat and repeat...Celly D's aren't as half as bad as the Northwoods were.

this post sux.. let me explain. yes, some of us are strapped for cash from time to time.
i bought a celeron d 2.26, which has clocked to 3.4... for 65 bucks. i'd say thats a hell of a bang for the buck. it runs anything i need to do non game intensive fine..

and does superpi in 50 seconds. this is with LIMITED memory and a horrid 4/5 divider to boot. the northwood cellys suk, yes we know that. but to blanket statement like that is just.. ignorant

oh yeah to the wag who said p3's have higher fsb, i call BS. celly d = 133 fsb.

to my knowledge p4s just NOW got 200 fsb. so this should be obvious to anyone...

no screenshot...i think i messed up the numbers....i just woke up and decided to post something and that was what came to mind, i think it was 1:28...man, what was i thinking, and i would have a screenshot, but atm its in a box sitting in my basement...sorry for the outrageous lie there, and i do agree D's arent that bad, they are no means great, but they are not crap

hainer36 said:
no screenshot...i think i messed up the numbers....i just woke up and decided to post something and that was what came to mind, i think it was 1:28...man, what was i thinking, and i would have a screenshot, but atm its in a box sitting in my basement...sorry for the outrageous lie there, and i do agree D's arent that bad, they are no means great, but they are not crap

You may want some more sleep ;)

Back