• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seeko

Registered
Is there any way for me to find out the temperature inside my case without buying a case with one of those nifty LED readouts? I plan to get one around Christmas time maybe, but until then, I want to have a way to tell if my new computer is running at a decent temperature. I've heard people all over the place talking about their case temperature, and I doubt everybody has one of those cases with the LED temperature readout, so what are some variables to telling the temperature inside my case?

Also.. Is there a way to tell the temperature of individual pieces of hardware? I've been reading reviews on Newegg while choosing products for my new computer, and while looking at processors I saw alot of people saying stuff like, "I have it overclocked to 2.6GHz and it runs stable at 32c." Are they talking about the case temperature, or the temperature of the CPU?

Sorry if I sound kind of "noobish", but my computer is a P.O.S. and I've never really cared about the temperature of it. However, with this new machine I'm building, I want to make sure it's running the way it should be. :)

Try using Speedfan. It uses the motherboards sensors to gage temps of case cpu etc. DL it here -->http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I use it, it works great. Some motherboard maufacurers have temp/motherboard monitoring software for thier boards. You might check that out.

When they say stable at 32 they are talking CPU temps.

You might try here ---> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=178072 for more temp/cooling info also.

Last edited:
Ok, I've got a question about that SpeedFan program. In the screenshots on their website, it shows a picture of the temperature readouts saying stuff like, "CPU 29C" or something like that. However, on mine it just says Temp1, Temp2, Temp, and Temp1. It doesn't say CPU, or Case or anything like that.

Is there a way I can fix this, or at least tell which "Temp" is for which part?

Seeko said:
Ok, I've got a question about that SpeedFan program. In the screenshots on their website, it shows a picture of the temperature readouts saying stuff like, "CPU 29C" or something like that. However, on mine it just says Temp1, Temp2, Temp, and Temp1. It doesn't say CPU, or Case or anything like that.

Is there a way I can fix this, or at least tell which "Temp" is for which part?

You have to edit the tags. It is kind of a pain. Can't remember exactly how but if you look in the help file it tells you there. That is what I did. :)
you'll need to figure out which temp id from what sensor.

Have you tried to find a monitor for your board from the manufacturers site? What MB do you have?

Here is another one that a lot folks here rave about you might try it. ---> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

PCWIZARD also has a lot of sensor readings, so you can find out how hot different parts of your computer are running. Google pcwizard and download it and go to the gauge symbol, and it shows you temps.

Alright thanks, I'll try those out.

And about my motherboard, it's a super old POS Shuttle. Soon to be replaced by what's in my sig. :D

Back