• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Sockets? Is there one better than the other?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amoroso

Is the 939 socket better than the 7XX socket? I forgot the number lol.

Is there any benifets of one over the other? Is one better than the other? Thanks. Im still a newb at this, and Im want to learn as much as I can so when I build my comp for the first time I dont totally regret anything lol.

I know the Intel guys are going to say that I will regret AMD LOL! :p

Socket 939 has dual channel while socket 754 does not.

wizard james said:
yes, since they dont make any more chips for the 7xx one .. so go 939 ,

Totally untrue, Turions and Newarks are S754 and are still in production.

Perhaps you may want to wait for a S754 PCI-E motherboard to make an appearance 1st before buying a new platform ? Then the only diff between S754 and S939 would be single channel or dual channel memory. Afterall when M2 arrives both S754 and S939 would be replaced.

Last edited:
zonama™ said:

Perhaps you may want to wait for a S754 PCI-E motherboard to make an appearance 1st before buying a new platform ? Then the only diff between S754 and S939 would be single channel or dual channel memory. Afterall when M2 arrives both S754 and S939 would be replaced.

i had a feeling someone would say something like that..otho part true. there is less expanablilty on the 754s then the 939s , soo... ahhh :argue: :bang head

zonama™ said:

Thats great advice, that way when he wants to upgrade his CPU he has to stick with old CPU's or buy a new motherboard :rolleyes:

Go 939... better cpu options (if you get the right mobo, you can even upgrade to X2 dual cores later when their prices drop)....

This thread belongs in AMD CPUs. Captain Subforums Out.

I don't think that PCIe will be coming to Socket 754, but that's because I want to think that since I just ordered an A8N-SLI (939) motherboard and accompanying hardware.

Socket 939 gives you a lot more in the way of options, including:
1) dual channel memory
2) dual core (available now! buy buy buy!)
3) PCI-express (and SLI if you can afford it)
4) future compatibility, as 939 doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon, as AMD is oddly devoted to DDR-400.

Captain Newbie said:
This thread belongs in AMD CPUs. Captain Subforums Out.

I don't think that PCIe will be coming to Socket 754, but that's because I want to think that since I just ordered an A8N-SLI (939) motherboard and accompanying hardware.

Socket 939 gives you a lot more in the way of options, including:
1) dual channel memory
2) dual core (available now! buy buy buy!)
3) PCI-express (and SLI if you can afford it)
4) future compatibility, as 939 doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon, as AMD is oddly devoted to DDR-400.

PCI-E S754:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=22&Submit=Property

Back