• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem connecting to scheduler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

My computer has had problems connecting to the SETI scheduler for a few days now. When I reset the project it will connect once and download the clients and a few WUs. When they are finished it will upload them. But all attempts to connect to the scheduler to get more work and return results after the first time fail. Anyone have any ideas. I looked around the BOINC forums for some help, but I couldn't find anything. I have tried to connect at different times for the last few days. Every time I check the status page it says the scheduler is running. Reinstalls and complete uninstalls have not fixed the problem.

I recently had sorta the same problem, it wouldn't get any new units and it had some other problems too. The only way I fixed it was by uninstalling it, rebooting, erase the boinc folder and then reinstall a fresh copy...If I didn't erase the folder it just wouldn't work properly. Hope this helps.

now I feel stupid

I forgot that BOINC leaves the project folders after an uninstall. Thanks sir_LOIN. After uninstalling and deleteing folders I reinstalled 4.45 and it connected fine multiple times. Guess its time to try those optimized clients out.

I spoke too soon.

My problems have returned. I am completely out of work, trying to report 48 results. Mutliple attempts to connect are failing. The fresh install worked for a while. Now it just continuously fails to connect with the no schedulers responded message.
7/7/2005 10:10:12 PM|SETI@home|Sending scheduler request to http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi
7/7/2005 10:10:12 PM|SETI@home|Requesting 0 seconds of work, returning 48 results
7/7/2005 10:10:30 PM|SETI@home|Scheduler request to http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi failed
7/7/2005 10:10:30 PM|SETI@home|No schedulers responded
7/7/2005 10:10:32 PM|SETI@home|Deferring communication with project for 58 seconds

Every failed connection is a 58 second deferral. It never changes.

Last edited:
I have found a few people on the Berkley forums with the same problem. They all seem to have happened since the update. There is lots of info flying around, but no one knows what is happening. There seems to be no fix. Until a new version of BOINC comes out I will be switching to the dark side, Folding.

I have this problem, too, tried different Boinc versions and it keeps coming back. I'm running multiple projects, I detached from LHC and since then, it seems to have stoppded. Seems that LHC was sending way too much work even though I had it set to 1 day, then the other project would just not get any more work once it had crunched the units it had in cache. And it's also definitely since the new boinc versions came out. Seems to be a combination of things. One of my puter runs Einstein and Predictor now and no problem, was LHC and Predictor before and it had the problem. Another one runs Seti and Predictor also no problem anymore since I detached from LHC. It's weird because I really like LHC and I've been running it for some time now and never had problems with it... Not sure exactly what is causing this, it really bugs me!

The only BOINC project I use is SETI. This computer has been connected to SETI only for several months now. It is nearly impossible for other projects to be messing up my SETI downloads. I am simply tired of having to fix stuff every week just to continue crunching SETI. :bang head

Weird... I'm connecting to Berkeley just fine (just returned 3 results actually)... The only thing I can see from Berkeley is that their assimilator is down, but that shouldn't cause the connectivity problems.

JigPu

OK, I read through my previous posts and I want to clear some things to avoid misinformation. I am not leaving the SETI team. I am waiting for a new version that hopefully fixes my problems. In the interim period I will be folding.

DNS problems?

I read on the technical news that the schedulars got switched to another DNS address recently. My connection problems started right after that. Does anyone know what the IP address of the schedulars are now? I'm thinking that an entry in the LMHOSTS file for the http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi?cgi address might help here. I have a ton of work set to expire in about 2 days and it would be nice to turn it in.

Horribleron

Well, my connections finally started going through about the beginning of last week and I have very few problems over the last few days. I really have no idea how to go about finding the IP address though.

BOINC Seti is back online!

I'm now seeing work units that are partially crunched with a status of preempted?

Only running one project, and the units have the same expiration date and time as the ones now running. How odd.

Don't know why you folks have all this trouble. I've been able to download and upload OK for at least a month. Sometimes I have to wait a few hours for my cache to fill or dump everything. Otherwise no problem so far.

BTW the was a notice of a power outage this last weekend. Everything should be OK now.

Back