• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Brother's computer, i think its dead!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi

Hi

My little bro's computer, i think its dead. It has a ECS K7S5A board, i didnt put it in the ECS sub section coz i reakon nobody would look at it

I just recently changed the heatsink on it (a VERY old one which came with it, i bought it at a swap meet) the fan on it died. So i swapped it out for my stock Athlon 3000+ heatsink which is heaps bigger and better. Now the computer doesnt boot up. Nothing on the screen. Blank, no signal. I think its a mb problem as there is no boot up beep either. Is it dead?

First have you cheched all you can, power connections and such. If so then I'd start cheching all the parts one by one in a different computer.

If all you changed was the hsf that's what I would check first, make sure it's plugged onto the proper board header, also check to see that it is making proper contact with the cpu, if it wasn't contacting properly it is possible that you overheated the chip and killed it as it only take a few seconds to ruin one, if all else is ok clear Cmos and try again.

-Milkman

Yea all the fans work.

It has no beep, no responce nothing. I know the fans work coz one of the case fans hav colorful lights on it. And those fans arnt that quiet anyway.

I tried googleing some K7s5a codes but nothing came up with zero beeps. Which most probibly means its dead.

but i dun wanna trash it unless i hav an absolute confirmation from u guys that its dead

Milkman said:
If all you changed was the hsf that's what I would check first, make sure it's plugged onto the proper board header, also check to see that it is making proper contact with the cpu, if it wasn't contacting properly it is possible that you overheated the chip and killed it as it only take a few seconds to ruin one, if all else is ok clear Cmos and try again.

-Milkman

The heatsink was prperly seated and theres AS5 under it.

Do you think i might of crushed the CPU core?

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
The heatsink was prperly seated and theres AS5 under it.

Do you think i might of crushed the CPU core?
It's possible. The only way to find out is to take it off and have a look. Good luck. I hope you're Bro's nickname isn't "Killer". :)

Pull the cmos battery, reseat the cpu and the memory, and yes the core could have been sent to cpu heaven.
gl

Well.... Clearing the cmos is always the first thing i do.

And the heatsink is clamped on REAL tight, so i might of crushed it in the process.

Its a Palo XP 1800+

And no his not called killer, he's too young to hav any name. He's just called william, and thats his game name as well. He's 8 yrs old

Looks like it's time to pull the HSF and have a look. Check over everything you touched when you did the chance over. Did you pull the MB for the HS install? It's allways the simplest things that you tend to overlook. Small wires can get pinched, CPU pins can get bent... Break her down and give her the once over. If you broke the chip keep an eye out for another one at your local shop. Every one usually has an old CPU laying about. I think I have an 1.2 athlon somewhere...
GL,
Killa

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
Awwww, if i really did break it, my parents will get real ****ed. But on the other hand, it could be a great opportunity to con them into buying ME a new comp :D
Ah, it is wise man who sees opportunity in adversity. :santa:

Back