• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-G w/ 478 3.2 P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

Its been several months since i stoped overclocking my rig, and there were changes made to the hardware (cpu, psu, and ram) since then, hopefully this time it will be more reliable under OC.

*See sig for system specs*... oh the PSU, Fortron 550 (power goes through an APC 1500), i dont think i put that in my sig.

The comp is used for gaming and school work, and runs 24-7, restarts about once a week, im ok with restarting evry 3 days though.

My target is 3.6-3.8 and i think my temps are in the low 50's not OC'd for load, but i intend to reinstall the monitor software to check. Due to fast ram (hopefully good) i think going at a 1:1 ratio is reasonable.

For now though, im ok with droping the ratio to find the max of the CPU... Does anyone have any advice?...

ill post / edit this second post with temps / results and more temps when i get the chance... but for now im playing with my laptop -Weeeeee-

Gasp, nothing stable at all, not even 5mhz, used to get 18-19 over with this proc i think... some place up near 3.5-3.6 :mad:

Well main problem seems to be that when the speed is bumped (locked PCI, and 1:1 on the ram) the Raid 0 i run to boot from does not register at boot, or locks durring its self check of the raid durring boot... :confused:
Restoreing the FSB to stock makes it bootable, although MUCH slower ... almost reluctanylt slow.

It had problems about a week ago, but when i was using the install CD to repair the instalation, the OS worked again before i expected it to...perhaps i loaded the incorrect raid driver? :eek:

*oh XP pro corperate is what i run on the thing.

Double check to make sure the PCI bus is actually locked under the SoftMenu Setup screen...

AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:pCI) Fixed
Fixed AGP/PCI Frequency 66/33

If it's not actually locked, then as soon as you start increasing the FSB the AGP/PCI buses will start increasing exponentially...

Ext. Clock (CPU/AGP/PCI) 200/66/33MHz

Yes, it is locked, but if im using the SATA raid on the northbridge (memory hub) could that be upping the SATA at the same time to unhappy speeds?

*I always used that hub for my raid in the past even in previous OC due to itshigher SATA bandwidth as the one on the PCI / sound Southbridge runns at slower speeds (i belive below the theroetical max of sata raid of 300mbs)

BUMP....

To give up and make the rig dorm friendly? or to try something else?...
If i go for something else, does anyone have any idea what might make me get my OC back?

That is a good CPU and motherboard. It *should* OC fairly easy as long as everything is in order with the hardware. Have you run Memtest86 to see if there are any memory errors. Instability like that can be caused by memory errors. it's possible something has gotten weak or damaged in the memory. Don't panic though, it might not be be. This is why i was wanting to know if you have tested...just to see.

Another thing to check in the BIOS is you GAT settings, they should be A A A D D in that order. A = Auto, D = Disabled.

You should at least be able to OC to 3.6-3.7 with stock voltage, so I'd leave vCore alone for the time being until you zero in on what's causing this.

Triple check again to make sure those AGP/PCI lock is set to fixed. I know you checked it, but just to make absolutely certain. PCI's do not like to be OC'd on this board.

You have great cooling on the CPU, so that shouldn't be an issue, but I would monitor temps while doing this...you ***always*** want to monitor temps when making changes.

Another thing... Do you know how to check the rails of you PSU while it's running? If so, check those and keep an eye on them. It takes alot of power for the Prescott's, and the power must be "clean". In other words it must not vary or jump around. You need good stable voltage. if the PSU is not delivering for some reason your OC will not be stable at all and it'll create havoc.

These are a few things off the top of my head you may want to look into. :)

Back