• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

under clocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iantec

Registered
hi, im underclocking my como because i leave it overnight to run small programs, downloading primarily. well i decided to underclock it since i dont need the ghz and all. and im thinking that underclocking will lessen the temp on the cpu, well it did by 9 celcius. im jsut running it at 1 ghz now with a vcore of 1.400, now my question is is underclocking harmful just like over clocking? tyia

Underclocking shouldn't be harmful to your computer, especially as now some processors have this feature, such as AMD's Cool & Quiet technology and Intel's Speedstep. It's commonly used in laptop processors and has been for a while and now is also becoming common in desktop processors.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forums, iantec. :welcome:

May i first suggest a quick edit of your posts before you click "post".

Anyways, no it's not harmful, but i dont really think it is something you need to be doing.

well thanks for the reply guys... i always had it overclocked before but i need to speed up my fan and i just can't tolerate my other comp so i switched it from my living room and this one is more quiet specially now the fan is at its lowest speed. anyways thnaks:)
and oh is there anyway i can run it lower? just want to know how slow it can run. ehehhe

LOL underclocking for the noise values? I have 6x stage speakers in my comp room .. i dont really care about the fan noise LOL!! ..

LOL, okay. You probably don't need to tweak your underclock to the max, then.

The heat generated varies directly with the frequency and with the square of Vcore. Hence, you might decide how fast you need to go and then see how low you can get your voltage at that frequency without loosing stability. After that, you can probably raise the CPU frequency as far is it will go with the undervolt if you want to. It won't generate that much more heat.

Edo said:
LOL underclocking for the noise values? I have 6x stage speakers in my comp room .. i dont really care about the fan noise LOL!! ..
Great post.... explains why you've got a P4.

:bang head

Can you imagine there are people who do care about the noise produced by a computer? Don't know your age, but... well, you'll grow

well im quite satisfied now with it at 1.4 ghz, and oh i forgot to mention that i already did lower the vcore from 1.525 to 1.400 now (vcore),since im not that could maybe you can give me tips on which ones to undervolt too. my fan positions are great so no worries with the fan , pc all clean including the hsf. im going to test it with prime to see if it is stable. well im quite happy with my underclock, system boots almost as fast and now i dont go over 39 cel deg. when my cpu was oced i was running at 63 c at full load. when idle its at 54 c. at stock speeds idle is at 47c full load is at 54c. cant tolerate the screaming of volcano 12 + 4 case fans. now i am able to turn 1 intake and 1 exhaust. :) thnx

btw about the underclocking to the max. i was just curious, because i tried setting bios to spd, and i think i hit my slowest at 100mhz fsb. well if you know how to make it lower pls say so im just curious if it can still run at 500 mhz or something. eheh, multiplier locked.

K4mui said:
Great post.... explains why you've got a P4.

:bang head

Can you imagine there are people who do care about the noise produced by a computer? Don't know your age, but... well, you'll grow
Why the attitude, K4mui? Did something get lost in the translation? I can find no offense in Edo's words. All he said was that fan noise isn't a factor for him. Your words, OTOH, seem quite insulting, and that sort of talk drags a forum down.

I got my P3 1ghz @ like 340mhz I believe the only reason is because its my smoothwall and doesn't even need 340mhz. Puts off less heat and uses less power! I have been doing that for like 6 months or so no probs.

well my board is an epox 8rda3i...lowest possible vcore setting is at 1.400 can i even lower it? i mean aside from the vcore is there other things i can lower to minimize power consumption. since i will be runnign this 24/7 now.

and oh i tried setting the speed to stock only lowering the vcore...hmmm strtange. is it that the temp relies on the vcore you put? why is my temp readings higher by 3 celcius degree when i razed the frequency but have the vcore at the same rate (1.400) as my previews underclock to 1ghz

Last edited:
iantec said:
and oh i tried setting the speed to stock only lowering the vcore...hmmm strtange. is it that the temp relies on the vcore you put? why is my temp readings higher by 3 celcius degree when i razed the frequency but have the vcore at the same rate (1.400) as my previews underclock to 1ghz
When the transistors in the CPU switch on and off, that generates heat. Hence, the more often the transistors switch, the more heat they're going to generate, and raising the frequency makes the chip run a little hotter even if Vcore is the same.

K4mui said:

I've got several tornados and a panaflo 119cfm 120mm fan sitting in my tower thats on my desk no more than 2 - 3 feet away from me. I dont mind the sound...as long as its not a whine, god do i hate whine...but its like a small wind tunnel or a quiet blender...lmao...but busting out 19C idle on air cooling is pretty sweet.

yeah....but im from the philippines...its real hot here. 38 celcius ambient temp. yeah i know so not unless i use airconditonign and put my v12 at full honk will i achieve 28celcius....ehhehe, so im real happy if my temp lowers by 1 degree.

well buying a new mobo is not an option so i guess this is as far as i can go.
and about the rightmark, is that reliable and is it safe?

Yes Rightmark is reliable and safe. It is actually less "harsh" on the CPU than cool n quiet. Someone from Rightmark pointed out in another forum that AMD switches voltage and multi up to 30 times a second and RM only does it 10 times a second. Unless you tell RM to follow AMDs spec.

Back