• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 2 PCs as one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Is it possible to connect 2 PCs, and use the computing power from both to create 1 ( I guess you could call it) virtual computer? I have a few spare PCs lying around and was thinking about what to do with them. They are a 400mhz AMD and a 500mhz Pentium (something..2 I think). Give me your ideas and suggestions. If not.. I suppose I could turn one into a linux file server, and the other into a smoothwall box.. any other suggestions

(I put this post here because I figured the PCs would be networked together for my original suggestion/question. If this post doesn't fall in this catagory, please feel free to move it to its appropriate location.)

Thanks in advance..

Lee

I think you're wanting to build a cluster. I haven't heard of Windows being able to do this, but some versions of Linux are designed for this. But even with that, the software to run on it has to be designed to support that type of environment.

Edit: This may be of some interest to you. http://www.beowulf.org/

CyberFed said:
I believe a cluster can be set up using windows 2003 server, and I know it can be done in linux. But again as Dave pointed out the software must be capable of using a custer style sytem or else it's useless.

i believe that clustering is also supported by win2k server (or maybe just advanced, i can't remember) but that is like redundancy if i am correct...)

dont clusters generally require a faster 'host' comp? and then you can run any number of older slower comps off of it? would he even really benefit from it?

you could set them up as folding boxes.

is there anything keeping folding from being installed on a smoothwall box? could kill 2 birds with one stone.

CyberFed said:
I believe a cluster can be set up using windows 2003 server, and I know it can be done in linux. But again as Dave pointed out the software must be capable of using a custer style sytem or else it's useless.

you suck at this whole life thing

its not a "computing balancing" cluster, its a load balanceing cluster for websites and databases....

Back