• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aidenswarrior

i know you are suppose to have 2 of the same hard drive for raid 0. I have a 200gb maxtor sata hard drive with 16mb cache and was wondering if it would be possible to use a 200gb sata maxtor with 8mb cache in raid 0 with that hdd? Or could someone lead me to a site that still sells the 16mb cache sata 200gb maxtor hdds...?

They have to be identical or you risk corruption. When I set up my first raid I had to drives that had the same capacity and cache, the only difference was the seek times were off just a bit. I could set it up and what not but the performance sucked and I was getting errors left and right. So in others words, that have to be exactly the the same.

edwardaune said:
They have to be identical or you risk corruption. When I set up my first raid I had to drives that had the same capacity and cache, the only difference was the seek times were off just a bit. I could set it up and what not but the performance sucked and I was getting errors left and right. So in others words, that have to be exactly the the same.

I'd have to disagree. It will work with dissimilar drives, but the performance is not optimized. I've used many different mixed drive configurations. Just curious, which disks and controller were they and did you have any other issues running after the array was broken? Corruption, I've seen more in controllers and PCI lock problems.

^^In a JBOD array or in an actual RAID 0.^^ I was and still am using the on board RAID controllers on my abit and the same when I had my GIG GA-7N400 Pro 2. I had nothing but problems when I used different drives and since changing to the same drives clean as a whistle.

Interesting, I'd never seen compatibility issues with that chipset, perhaps there were stability problems with earlier BIOS levels.

And yes, that's an excellent price on the drive.

Back