• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use this CPU without a fan ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nope of course not...but low speed fan like the Vantec Stealth will do a good job cooling it silently.

Yeah, once you even start getting to the PIII I would use a fan. However my old 866mhz pc had no fan on the HS. Though I wouldnt go much above that.

Edit: I missed the mobile part, it had a fan before right? If not then you may just get away with it. I am not to sure how those mobiles run, heat wise.

It probably had its own fan setup in the laptop, so get a small fan on that proc. Nothing too small, but doesn't have to have a ton of CFM

actually you might be able to get away with it if your case has good ventalation and if the hs was considerably better then the one in the laptop. wouldn't hurt to try check temps in bios if it starts getting up there turn it off.

With a big enough heatsink and adequate case airflow, possible. DELL's use a setup like that, big heatsink, with a duct pulling air off it.

As Drec said, monitor it.

depending on what heat sink it could be possible, you will probably need a big copper heatsink though. Also don't expect to be overclocking it.

from pics at recent computer shows, you can see lots of huge passive coolers coming out from various companies. they look like little skyscrapers, but look to do the job well if you've got some air flow.

I would not waist money on a new HS, use the old one. With good case flow you might be fine, if not then just turn it off. If you do need better cooling just put like an 80mm fan on it.

my P4 2.4c northwood came stock with just a big heatsink. and of course.. lack of thermal paste. It ran at stock speeds for about a year and a old. untill i started to OC it.. and then i bought a new heatsink and fan.

Back