• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why are amd cpu's more expenisive then P4's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Fuchs said:
comparable AMD and P4 chips, p4 will always be more expensive.. i'm not sure what you're talking about.

obviously a 3800+ is going to be more expensive than a 2ghz p4..

yeah AMD PR vs P4 MHz the AMD will be cheaper...(although not by too much as their getting more and more exp. :mad: )

YOO said:
i thought that p4's would be more expensive since they are faster.

PS. well not all amd's are more expensive but some are.
First off AMDs are a ton cheaper than their comparable intel processor; and by no means are P4s faster. Please don't start ignorant threads :)

This is a joke right? AMD beats intel at every angle. Price/performance, price, performance, low heat, low power use, and stability due to superior chipsets and processors.

Please cite an example so we can tear it appart.

BeerHunter said:
This is a joke right? AMD beats intel at every angle. ... and stability due to superior chipsets and processors.

Please cite an example so we can tear it appart.

ok, i won't comment on the other "angle"'s, but are you serious about their superior chipsets? when was the last time you ran a chipset that was MADE by amd themselves?

for the record, intel chipsets cannot be beat. not by nforce, not by via, not by sis, ect, ect...

I hate to go off topic, but I'm tired of this whole godly chipset thing. Right now the whole chipset situation is pretty much moot because the memory controller for Intel is off die...so the chipset is actually a factor. For AMD, it's on the proc itself, so unless you've got a really junky chipset or board, it's not going to hold anything back.

Right now my biggest frustration with Intel is this supposedly glorious chipset everyone keeps raving about. My AMD's let my memory hit around 265MHz with everything as aggressive as possible. The Intel maxes out at 250 and 255 unstable but barely benchable...keeping everything else the same, whether its single channel or dual channel. I'm not seeing anything wonderful about this chipset. It's whats holding me back the most, in fact. Sure, no nForce2 would do better, but those days are long gone.

before we start another amd vs intel flaming thread :santa: ... intels are more expensive then amd. For the speed issue.... Amd does more "work" for the lower speed. Intel does less "work" and to make it up the make the speeds faster.

Well, all I know is the X2 is more expensive than Pentium D. The X2 is way faster. Even the fastest Pentium D is slower than the cheapest X2. For single core, A64 is about the same price as P4.

Intel chipset is not perfect. many people used to have cold boot problem, and wrong temperature report. Memory setting is not that great. I used to have IC7 and it die within a month.

Buddy, check pricewatch.com. You will see that AMD CPUs are cheaper than their comparable Intel counterparts. Also, you originalyl stated "why are amd cpu's more expensive than P4's?". I don't know where the whole "whoes faster" deal came in but this isn't quite the thread to be comparing speeds, only prices.

so i'm a troll and a dumbass? wow, talk about overreacting. it wasn't meant as a flame bait, i didn't mean to incite a war. i'll just back out of here gracefully before this thread explodes. :)

Dude, really? I wont revert to name calling, but that was flamebait. Everyone that has even moderate computer hardware knowledge knows that a compairable AMD processor is always cheaper than its intel counterpart.

I think this is a matter of not knowing where to look for the right prices. I wouldnt suggest pricing a AMD system and a Intel system at a mom and pop computer shop, then making a AMD vs Intel CPU price compairison. I build systems to sell, and I have never sold an Intel based system. AMD is far cheaper, and I can sell them at a better profit rather than have a more expensive Intel eat away at my profits.

Look online. Small town stores are often nearly double the normal price of any computer hardware. Even some smaller city shops are pricey. If you shop online, even having to pay the shipping is still far cheaper.

Seeing you are from Winnipeg, here is the cheapest Canadian online store I know of.
Canada Computers
If you need a local store, I have a good friend in Winnipeg (or is it Calgary :eh?: ). I can ask him, but he will proably just say to look online.

I have a feeling you over paid on your Intel 2.4 too :santa:

*note to other posters*
Just cause someone is wrong in thier facts, dont mean you should flame them. Explain, using examples, why they are wrong. You will come across as well informed and helpful.

Last edited:
Oroka Sempai said:
*note to other posters*
Just cause someone is wrong in thier facts, dont mean you should flame them. Explain, using examples, why they are wrong. You will come across as well informed and helpful.

Excellent comment, and I believe that needed to be said.

As an Intel user, I partially agree with the poster, but AMD is actually cheaper depending on what you want to do with your computer... if you're comparing FPS between systems, of course the AMD is always going to win, that's what they're made for. Likewise for Intel, if you compared the multitasking and business performance of an Intel and an AMD, I would believe that the Intel would almost always win in a comparable system.

I actually owned a 2.4C for quite a few months, and I don't think it was very expensive at all to buy...... here's about what I spent on my system, what would be an equivalent AMD system?

cpu (2.4C) - 110 dollars (used)
mobo (IC7-G Max II) - 115 dollars
ram (1 Gb OCZ PC4000 EL Gold R2)- 160 dollars
graphics (BBA 9800 pro) - 180 dollars (used)

Here's my 3DMark scores.... I'd be interested if an AMD user with a 9800 Pro could post their scores to compare :)

3DMark01 - 22390
3DMark03 - 7769

SandraBench.jpg

CPU-ZMem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back