• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedoc

Guys,

I am thinking of building another system, I will go 775 this time as i will want PCI Ex mobo. Question is which 775 is the best clocker, i got caught out some what with my Northwood 3.4, it won't overclock hardly atall, shame really, but there you go, anyway is it the case with 775's that the lower speed cpu's clock better than the higher ones ?, i.e. is the 3.6 a non-clocker ?, also do they run hot like the prescots, is water a must for any sort of clock ?

Thanks

From what I hear, the 775 Prescotts run a little cooler than the 478 Prescotts. The 600 series supposedly overclock very well, I personally am going to go with the 630 because you can find it for under $200 on eBay, it features 2MB of L2, and has 64-bit support. If you can afford to put up more money, you could go with a faster model as well. Just remember that the faster models have a higher multiplier. I believe the 640 on up have speedstep which will lower your multi to 14x when your CPU is not under a full load.

no way

No, water is not required. Ive seen the new E0 processors hitting above 4ghz on STOCK INTEL cooling! If you want the best set up, get the Asus P5WD2 or whatever its called. It's the 955 chipset.. THen get either the 550j or the 640 processor.

:cool:

You have 2 viable options right now. Either a used 660 on ebay or a new 820. Those are the best bang-for-buck available on the LGA platform.

The 820s are the new dual-cores at the usual 14X. That allows for over 300FSB when past 4.1ghz (which you will hit)

Those would be the best options available. Also do not forget, if you get an 820 you need either an i945P or an i955X to allow it to function properly.

Current prescotts do infact run hot, and more so they do exceptionally well with high end cooling (higher clocks with less voltage). This would be a perfect canidate for either water or high end air. For the 820 I would reccomend water over air because the stock TDP for smithfield is 135W vs your 89

Hello,

There are plenty of options as far as LGA775 boards go. I personnaly would recommend you over to a 955x based motherboard for dual core support and PCI-X.

My favorite is the P5WD2-Premium by Asus. It is an excelent overclocker, Fugger over at XS recently got an EE to run 405 FSB 1:1 on this board.

Link:
Newegg

For the CPU, go ahead and go dual core. People are getting these things just over 3ghz on stock cooling or a slight upgrade.

Intel Pentium D 820

Sentential said:
You have 2 viable options right now. Either a used 660 on ebay or a new 820. Those are the best bang-for-buck available on the LGA platform.

The 820s are the new dual-cores at the usual 14X. That allows for over 300FSB when past 4.1ghz (which you will hit)

Those would be the best options available. Also do not forget, if you get an 820 you need either an i945P or an i955X to allow it to function properly.

Current prescotts do infact run hot, and more so they do exceptionally well with high end cooling (higher clocks with less voltage). This would be a perfect canidate for either water or high end air. For the 820 I would reccomend water over air because the stock TDP for smithfield is 135W vs your 89

Thanks guys, great info.

So.....

for the best performance (on air(see my sig)) should i go dual core 820 or 640 in terms of total performace ?, i am on a 3.4 northwood @3.6 at the mo, which will give me the best clock and performance diff over my current Rig ?, would i need to get a 830 ?

Thanks

Back