• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you buy aluminum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you tried your local ACE, I found AL tube for a telescope that would have costed a lot more from astronomy suppliers. My local has sheet, punched sheet (fire screen, grates etc), angle and tube. ok prices too.

my vote goes to onlinemetals.com i've bought acrylic from them before, very good site. i've gotten scrap from machine shops before, if a peice is left over but isn't big enough for them to make use of they will often sell it. metal suppliers are good but many have a minimum order, and you don't want to pay a $75 minimum order for your peice.

Home Depot is not a good place to recommend for raw materials since the stock at any given location will vary to suit the needs of local contractors.
As a few have said, call a few machine shops to see if they sell scrap or can recommend a local supplier.

IMO the best source for metals is your local phone book. Look for welding or
sheet metal shops & give them a call. Even if they don't sell to the public
they should be able to point you to someone who does. Never be afraid to ask.

I usually have several metal projects going on at any given time - welding,
metalsmithing, machining etc ... all my aluminum & stainless/steel comes from a local
welding shop. Much better selection than Home Depot at about half the price. And no
shipping charges. ;)

Back