• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Processor Choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duble

Registered
I'm trying to decide which processor to go with:

Intel Pentium 4 640 (3.2Ghz) Prescott Processor, Socket LGA775 with 800MHz FSB, 0.09u & 2MB Cache

Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) Dual-Core Processor, Socket LGA775 with 800MHz FSB & 2x1MB Cache

Any advice would be appreciated, which one generally performs better? I will use it for light multitasking, encoding, games...

I do want to overclock a little.
Thanks

if your doing light multi and light encoding, the 640 is good, but if at a fair amount of the times your doing heavy either, get the dual core...hope that helped

I'd say for most things they will perform about the same.

Unless you are going to do a crapload of stuff thats quicker on a dual processor system, I'd go with the Intel 640 and use the extra money for some kick-*** cooling so you can overclock the crap outta it.

in australia i can pick the dual core up for less than the 6XX

Just a Zalman 7700, antec TX1050B case with 3 or 4 fans...

Well, if you can get the dual core for less, I'd probably go with that. Just keep in mind that overclocking on the 8xx's is fairly limited unless you have a good way to deal with heat. If you're only looking for a little bit of gain, like 200-300MHz or so, you could probably get away with what you have. If you wanted to push it farther, you'd probably have to beef things up.

Wow, you can get the 820 for less? Get it!

BTW, your case should have good cooling, but to make the best of it, check out my guide on helping cooling with 7000/7700 series sinks. But definately get the 820.

Back