• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best budget AMD cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Hello,
Right now I am running a 2100+ XP on an nforce 2 board at 2100ghz or so. I also have a 4200+ at 4600 speeds... Used to think it was badass, but I think it is now time to upgrade!

I am gonna want to be able to OC, but having it run stable is a lot more important, as it will eventually possibly be used as a server... I am also sort of a security nazi, lol.

Anyways, I don't want to spend too much money, so the X2 and what not seems out of the question...

What would you guys recommend as the current best buy?
Thanks!

PS- mobo recommendations are greatly appreciated to!

YOU COU LD TRY TO GET A VENICE OFF OF THE WEB THEY SEEM TO BE FAIRLY OVERCLOCKABLE ... JUST DEPENDS IF YOU ARE WANTING TO USE SOCKET A OR WHAT ........ THE MOBO OF CHOICE FOR SOCKET 754 AND 939 SEEMS TO BE THE DFI LANPARTY SERIES... AS FAR AS PS TRY AN ANTEC PURE POWER OR A THERMALTAKE I WOULD SHOOT FOR AT LEAST A 500w

In my opinion you should just get the cheapest s754 sempron, now the mobo although the DFI LP series seems to be the board of choice, I don't know though you might want to save a couple of bucks and get a different board that ocs well.

TheFrag said:
Hello,
Right now I am running a 2100+ XP on an nforce 2 board at 2100ghz or so. I also have a 4200+ at 4600 speeds... Used to think it was badass, but I think it is now time to upgrade!

I am gonna want to be able to OC, but having it run stable is a lot more important, as it will eventually possibly be used as a server... I am also sort of a security nazi, lol.

Anyways, I don't want to spend too much money, so the X2 and what not seems out of the question...

What would you guys recommend as the current best buy?
Thanks!

PS- mobo recommendations are greatly appreciated to!

How much do you want to spend? I'd go for a 3700 san diego and a DFI Ultra-D.

Oh what I forgot to mentino though, is that there is a venice 3000+ at eWiz for about $120.

Well, I am starting to contemplate running a dual CPU configuration now, since unlike the last time I upgraded, seems like there is nothing out there that is really good and really cheap...

Are the opterons worth it do you all reckon (The non-dual core ones)? Like, what would be needed for gaming speed wise (ie- HL2, BF2, Doom 3, etc.)

Thanks.

I have no knowledge base on opteron systems, but it seems that a dual core setup would be more cost efficient than the opteron setup. I read that there should soon be an X2 solution at $345; about what two of the lowest end opterons cost retail.

If you are looking for absolute bang for the buck, I recently putchased the 3200+ and DFINF4 Ultra D for a combined total of about $310. I am running at 2.7, only application stable, but I haven't really pushed this CPU. The 3000+ for $120 is almost to good to pass up; I was originally planning on purchasing the 3700+ but after seeing the Venice clocks around here I realized that I would basically be paying another $140 for twice the cache...

Unless you are planning on purchasing two of those ridiculously priced Nvidia cards and putting them in SLI, I would think an overclocked 3000+ or 3200+ would be sufficient for gaming. However the definition of sufficient could vary slightly I suppose...

I'm not sure how well the 3000+ or 3200+ would serve you in hosting a server for online games though...I have no experience in that department.

When I say server, I don't mean a game server. I mean more like an ftp or something along those lines.

I also am gonna want to be able to compile programs, maybe encode video... I definenetly want as much multi tasking as possible. Having the best settings in a game aren't as important to me as this.

Thanks.

If you want to encode video then you will want a San Diego, which will also do gaming even though you wont be doing that. If you were not encoding video, i would recommend a Mobile 2600+

Well, I want to game also.
It must be able to handle all the latest games + more, but not on the greatest settings or anything.

I was looking at dual mainly for the ability to multi task more.

And because it is []D [] []V[] []D

TheFrag said:
When I say server, I don't mean a game server. I mean more like an ftp or something along those lines.

I also am gonna want to be able to compile programs, maybe encode video... I definenetly want as much multi tasking as possible. Having the best settings in a game aren't as important to me as this.

Thanks.
I don't say this often...but.....

eek....

intel..

eh don't hurt me please.

Drec said:
I don't say this often...but.....

eek....

intel..

eh don't hurt me please.

Yeah, I posted the exact same thread in the Intel section, but for Intel (obiviously). I have always been AMD faithful, but I think I might have to change my ways!

Back