• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virtual memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzNaLaN15

if i make a seperate partition to hold my virtual memory, do i set the whole partition as the memory size

ie: size of partition : 1536mb size of memory: 1536mb ?

or do i have to put a lil room there so...

size of partition 2000mb size of memory: 1536 ?

As far as I know you can set it to the whole drive size (there might be like a few mb reserved though). If you're using windows XP it will tell you the maximum amount of free space available on the partition though, so you can just set it to the max amount available.

but i was wondering if that would offer optimum performance, like how u should have like 10-15% of ur hd free and stuff like that

Well, a quick read through this thread may be of interest, even though not directly related to your question there is some good info in here and some think that putting the VM file on a separate partition won't improve perfomance at all.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=387205

Anyway, about leaving some % of the drive free, if it is a drive specifically for virtual memory then I see no real reason to, as it won't need to be defragged or anything. But I have no conclusive proof of this, hopefully someone will come along and enlighten us...

Back