• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Man O'erboard!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hook

Registered
Ahoy mateys! This be Captain Hook and I be needin' some help! I got all the parts for me computer but I be missing a power supply! Aye, a captain's cabin that be lackin' a computer be no captain's cabin at all! Well, this is what's in me machine...

Athlon XP 4000+ San Diego core
Abit Fatal1ty An8
1 gig (2x512) of Corsair XMS TwinX1024-3200XL
WD Raptor 74GB
EVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy
and some fans and a dvd drive <--haven't looted these yet

Well mateys... what'll it be? Me eye be set on several beauties but they be equally charmin'. They be a SEASONIC S12-500, a SPARKLE FSP550, or a ZIPPY HP2-6500P. I'd like to have me a power supply that be givin' >500w. For me system silence be good since I love hearin' the sound o' the water 'gainst the hull. So be cooling... air-conditioning tis only a dream for a pirate. Well mateys, hope ye can find it in yer hearts to help a swashbucklin' scallywag like me.

Oh, and help findin' a tower would suit me fine too! Can't put me parts in just any old box that crawls out o' the bunghole. I be lookin' at a Lian-Li 6070Bplus since it be purty to me. Not too sure on whether or not this beauty will stay cool though.

Any info, help, or idears would soothe me mind like calm seas and a fair wind! Bless yer hearts!

Captain Hook
:cool: Tis me with two eyepatches! Arrrr!

Welcome aboard :)

If silence is what you're after, give the Seasonic a try. It's weaker than the other two, but should run things ok.

Arrr matey! I might be master o' the seas but I'm merely a galley slave when it comes to power supplies. How's the black beaut of a seasonic weaker and would these power supplies be providin' enough power for me system?

As fer the case, anybody tangled with the Silverstone TJ-03 yet? If I bag that beast I'll be sportin' a 120mm fan and 3 80mm fans. How big o' an impact will that have on the amount of power that be needed?

Captain Hook

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Welcome aboard :)

If silence is what you're after, give the Seasonic a try. It's weaker than the other two, but should run things ok.
I was'nt sure of the Ss before, but I found some more info and they have some great PSUs at the higher end of $75 or more. The S12-500 should handle it fine. It has plenty of power on one rail for the Venice and more than other enough on the other for the 6800 and drives. Either way all three of those PSUs are great.
Awesome rig you got coming together there Captain!

one of the wierdest threads of all time..
:p
but im surprised you listed just about the best psu's from the beginning

Captain Hook said:
How's the black beaut of a seasonic weaker

Less power at 12v, and split into two rails. It's also the only one not designed for a server environment, where things tend to be overbuilt for reliability. However, I think it will run things fine.

If you want quiet than the Seasonic is the only viable choice from the three you listed. In fact, it’s arguably the quietest 500-watt drive you can get.

Yarr! Does this seasonic stay cool? If it heats up my computer too much I might have to run it through with my sword or make it walk the plank!

Captain Hook

im guessing it has a fan exhausting the air out of the back, in that case it doesnt matter
it's actually your computer heating up the psu

tick..tock..tick

No, the Seasonic is one of the most effiecient computer power supplies you can buy. However, you must take into account since it runs so cool it requires very little air flow from the internal fan. Since the fan runs so slowly, it can not be considered adequate case ventilation if its the only exhaust in your system.

Well mateys... me motherboard has two fans (they be the OTES) on it and the Silverstone beauty has two 80mm fans on the back. I'll get me one as soon as a ship with the seasonic onboard is spotted on the horizon. No point spendin' all o' me gold if I can pay with my blade!

Thanks mateys!

Captain Hook

Oh.. if money weren't an issue what case would y'all have? As the Scourge o' the Seven Seas I can get just about anything and am open to yer suggestions. It's not often a seadog like me be trustin' ye landlubbers but in these waters I've got no choice.

What would me crew think if they knew? Ol' Hook askin' others fer help. Well, it is appreciated by this ol' pirate. If ye tell, you might find yerself in Davy Jones' locker!

Captain Hook

Well, what are you looking for? Obviously there are differant cases for differant needs. How big are you willing to go?

Lian Li has some nice cases, specifically the V2000 series. Cooler Master makes a case called the Stacker that is a favorite around here (for good reason). Thermaltake has some new cases that while large are nice (basically copies of the Stacker).

We need to know a little bit more about your preferances before we recommend any particular case.

If I were you I would try and stay with a case that only uses 120mm fans.

I'd go for a Temjin TJ07, but thats not out yet. That case is one of the best looking case I've ever seen and the cooling looks great too.
http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=379&Itemid=26&limit=1&limitstart=1

It wouldn't hust to go for the 600w Seasonic. I only paid 140.00 shipped for mine from case-mod.com when it was on sale a few days ago. Just shop around.
This deal might be possible still... http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=398401

This thread cracked me up. :D Its one of the most bizare threads ever... haha

Hmm.. Well a mid tower would suit me tastes, one with decent cooling that doesn't wake the dead with racket. That 600w psu looks like a fine piece o' loot too! I'd applaud if I still had both of my hands!

Captain Hook

As for having only the 120mm fans would that be because the 80mm fans are noisier than firin' off a broadside at a Spanish galleon? Well three decks o' guns be loud so maybe them fans aren't that loud. Do them 120s just move air more efficiently and quietly?

Captain Hook

You might give the Coolermaster Wavemaster cases a looking over, a buddy of mine has one and it's very nice in appearance. His only problem with it was there weren't any rails to guide the dvd drive he got and had to hold it up and screw it in, which could be difficult with a pair of hooks. You can get the aqua'rd colored blue one and might not even notice the difference between it and the sea outside yer window.

Arrr... and this is botherin' me more than a mutiny. D'yethink 18 amps be enough on the 12 volt line?

Captain Hook

If that 12v line be yer only one, then run it through with the business end of yer blade before she makes yer pc walk the plank.

If there is a matching second one to back her up, then matey, you gots yourself one fine supplier of the mighty power.

By the way, have ye considered watercooling yer beast? The great blue sea should provide a nice supply of semi-cold water, assuming the salt in it doesn't mutiny against your coolin' parts.

ARR!!!111ONE!1

Back