• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu is squicking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inferno016

it just constantly makes this beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep noise :bang head anyone else has this problem? i have a 400W psu. and here is my system

p4 3.2 ghz 540
512 mb ram with heatsinks
radeon 9800pro @ zalman vf700cu
160 gb hd
3 zalman 80mm case fans

maybe the psu is overloaded? plz help me if u have a sollution

and its not the fan in the psu. because when i scroll. the beep-sound is different

Are you sure it isn't sort of a high pitched whine? It sounds like your power supply is on it way out, replace it ASAP.

but i just replaced it :( its a brand new psu. its a tybolt psu. 400W is enough for my system i think.

I am not familiar with a 'tybolt' brand power supply, but it likely can't actually make anything like 400W. While it is true that a top-quality (and conservatively rated) 400W power supply could run your machine, the numbers on the side of the box don't mean much. You can infer by the difficulty this supply has in running your machine that it is over-rated. I would consel replacing it with a quality supply like the AX500-A Fortron.

A good power supply will provide overhead above its rated power. Tom's Hardware has some articles that show how supplies like Antec, Fortron and others can well exceed their rated wattage as well as perform well in all other areas. They actually push the PSU as high at it or their test rig will go and try to force it to shut down.

Inadequate and Deceptive Product Labeling: Comparison of 21 Power Supplies

Getting the Right Power: 15 PC Power Supply Units

Strong Showing: High-Performance Power Supply Units

Back