• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

toms hardware guide, throttling of a pentuim 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Anyone got a link? i wanan see this test they did when they removed the heatsink while playing a game. i always hear about but then i have never seen it.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/heatvideo-05.html

Removed the sink of Pentium4, Pentium3, Athlon and Duron. Athlon smoked up and blew chip and board, Duron did the same. Pentium4 slowed down with no damage to board or cpu. Pentium 3 froze with no damage to board or cpu.

AMD installed the same style (can anyone say reverse engineered) diode into their A64's and every other processor they have built since then. They did this after their first diodes (their own creation) failed to work.

R

Last edited:
damn, didnt know that those amd were smoaking up the skys ....

thansk for the unintersting article ..heh

Petr said:
Wrong. Pentium 4 powered off (see the fan - why isn't it rotating when they put it back?). They wanted to damage AMD's reputation so they filmed with two P4s. The one playing Quake wasn't the one you see.

BTW, why would a P4 slow down when running at 35 degrees Celsius? See the video again ;-).
And you of course were there to see this? :p Anandtech wished to damage AMD's reputation so badly that they decided to create a false situatation and one where anyone involved could have contacted AMD and instantly become rich?

I seriously doubt your proposal. However, that is just my singular opinion.

ropey said:
And you of course were there to see this? :p Anandtech wished to damage AMD's reputation so badly that they decided to create a false situatation and one where anyone involved could have contacted AMD and instantly become rich?

I seriously doubt your proposal. However, that is just my singular opinion.
I already said why it was a cheat by them. Or if you don't think it was then answer how could a P4 throttle when the temperature is 29 degrees Celsius / 84 degrees Fahrenheit. You may doubt what I say but you will definetely be very stupid if you believe how they did it.

... not to mention that P4 slows down with 50:50 ratio so their decrease of frames per second from 40 to less than 10 can't be true.

Petr said:
but you will definetely be very stupid if you believe how they did it.
I seldom discuss anything with anyone who is unable to discuss without turning the discussion personal and saying I am stupid since Ido not agree with you is not a discussion. Such conversations become one way very quickly.

Last edited:
ropey said:
I seldom discuss anything with anyone who is unable to discuss without turning the discussion personal and saying I am stupid since Ido not agree with you is not a discussion. Such conversations become one way very quickly.
I think you don't get it. I haven't said you are stupid, only that you will be if you trust that THG's video where P4 throttles at a temperature it can't have even when powered on with a fan.

hahaha lol toms hardware somehow found a way to cool thier p4's better without a heatsink than us heatsink users:p The results may very well be true that the pIII's and P4's can survive tests like that but thermal throttling takes place at much higher tempuratures than 29C.

Last edited:
Petr said:
I think you don't get it. I haven't said you are stupid, only that you will be if you trust that THG's video where P4 throttles at a temperature it can't have even when powered on with a fan.

I am not too sure, the fan doesnt do most the work, its the heatsink. the heatsink imidietly draws heat off the processor, doing more work then the fan could by itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but i think thats how it works

well apparently THG can keep thier cpu's at 29C with no heatsink OR fan. He was saying take notice to the fact that the fan was powered off as evidence that that system wasn't really running.

THG used to be notoriously bad at slanting against AMD and putting Intel in the best light they possibly could. They'd rig reviews and pull crap like this(yes, this is a crap video, it was discussed over and over when it first came out). They've gotten a lot better since then, but I still wouldn't trust them for much more than news.

]-[itman said:
THG used to be notoriously bad at slanting against AMD and putting Intel in the best light they possibly could. They'd rig reviews and pull crap like this(yes, this is a crap video, it was discussed over and over when it first came out). They've gotten a lot better since then, but I still wouldn't trust them for much more than news.

They can slant AMD all they want. For those who use AMD, they know what they are getting.

EDIT: Ah nm. dun wanna say that here :).

But look how far away the temp probe is from the P4 and P3. His readings are probaly coller than the actual processor becuase of the gap between teh probe and proccessor.

THG has been know to be Biased towards Intel for a very long time. The only reason they gave the AMD64x2 high marks was because they had the world watching.

TekeTorvo said:
THG has been know to be Biased towards Intel for a very long time. The only reason they gave the AMD64x2 high marks was because they had the world watching.

What ever you AMD guys are trying to pull ever trick out of the hat to say that your Athlons and Durons weren't as bad as the P4's were. I don't care what you say but a P4 or even a P3 doesn't require a fan to be running to keep it cool. Most manufactored systems with P3's had no fan over the HeatSink. I ran my celeron with no fan(forgot to plug it in) for a while and temp never went above 50c.

Shelnutt2 said:
What ever you AMD guys are trying to pull ever trick out of the hat to say that your Athlons and Durons weren't as bad as the P4's were. I don't care what you say but a P4 or even a P3 doesn't require a fan to be running to keep it cool. Most manufactored systems with P3's had no fan over the HeatSink. I ran my celeron with no fan(forgot to plug it in) for a while and temp never went above 50c.

Uh.. ok. While they may not need fans (thought from my experience they do), isn't it kind of stupid.. NOT to run them with fans?

Shelnutt2 said:
But look how far away the temp probe is from the P4 and P3. His readings are probaly coller than the actual processor becuase of the gap between teh probe and proccessor.

Its a Deltatrak Theromotrace Infrared Thermometer (see it here). which means distances won't matter TOO much unless we are talking like.. 10s of feet.

Also, I don't know what they are doing with that duron, but I had my brother's Duron (1200 I think) with no heatsink on for 20 minutes (clip was broken and I needed to check me mail :) ). So.. I dunno. I do find that odd. but again, this video doesn't make me want to give up AMD at all.

Back