• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

toms hardware guide, throttling of a pentuim 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shelnutt2 said:
What ever you AMD guys are trying to pull ever trick out of the hat to say that your Athlons and Durons weren't as bad as the P4's were. I don't care what you say but a P4 or even a P3 doesn't require a fan to be running to keep it cool. Most manufactored systems with P3's had no fan over the HeatSink. I ran my celeron with no fan(forgot to plug it in) for a while and temp never went above 50c.

So is this thread about AMD V's Intel 5 years ago? Or is it about THG and how biased they were/are?

I don't think anything on Tom's is worth an argument here on this quality forum. I don't belive a thing I read on that site. There are much better sites out there to get real info from.

No need for the Intel - AMD thing. Let the CPU's stand on their merits, and both have merits. They also both have downfalls.

For the AMD fans there is the X2 and for the Intel guys there is the P4 D series. Both are great CPU's and both are setting records. Take a look in the OC Benchmarking Forums and there is no argument to it.

Take an Intel and lay a challenge...somebody will top it.

Take an AMD and lay a challenge and somebody will top it too.

jst my 2 cents.
i stupidly fried an old pallomino 1900+, i was running the board(abit kr7a)and cpu ontop of a case, and i removed the cooler so that when i got back from eating dinner i could put it into the case as it worked.i stupidly left the cooler off but was sitting in the same position as it would be if it was clamped on. everything was also plugged in.i came in and powered it up....
cpu went up in smoke,but the board lived and does live until this day using a thoroughbred b 2800 proc slightly under clocked.
but the board definetly didnt go up in smoke. cpu most certainly did!
also, i managed to run a socket 370 celeron without a heatsink for a few mins,and it managed quite fine!that mite've been the board,i dunno.but i thought that most soa amd boards had some sorta probe within the ZIF socket that if the reading got too high, something would tell the pc to shut off?i dont know.
jst my 2 cents,and yup, toms is known for being biased towards intel.o well!its up to you if you wana trust their reviews!

Back