• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 bit Celery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willkill1337

It seems that the 64 bit Celerons are about to appear in the UK and if this link is anything to go by, they should be about the same price as the 32 bit processors: http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/com...?quicklinx=3RP5

I have yet to find a review of one on the internet but I'd like to know how they'd perform compared to the 32 bit versions and whether or not they have the same overclocking potential as the 32 bit equivalents. If I were to get one, I would hope to get the 2800MHz processor and get it to hopefully 4000MHz if I am lucky. At those kind of speeds, I could have a ~780MHz FSB, therefore eliminating the FSB bottleneck.

I'd just like to know how powerful the processor would be at those kind of speeds, if it could reach them.

The only difference between the Celeron "D" (E0) and Celeron "D" (E0) 64EMT will be the additional 64bit address registers and extensions.

Since one can not create a platform to test the Non 64 vs the 64 (on a 64bit test that is) there will be no real comparison created. However one can test the Non 64 vs the 64 on a 32 bit platform and I do not think there will be any difference as the architecture is identical. Registers and instructions have been initialized for the 64bit implimentation of EMT. These registers and instructions were heretofore disabled. The only real difference between the two processors is that one has a hardware bit flip (0 to 1) that enables these registers and 64bit EMT instruction set.

I would say that your overclock will be very similar to one of the 64EMT disabled processors. Again, the luck of the draw in gaining 4Ghz although many are doing it.

R

Oh, will these Celerons work with the 865PE chipset or will they need a 9xx being 64 bit? This could change things somewhat as the 9xx chipset motherboards are a lot more expensive.

Edit: Damn, it's 915 chipset only. I will have to look for another motherboard.
Edit 2 : Ah and 915 is PCI-E only as far as I can see... ouch...

Last edited:
willkill1337 said:
Oh, will these Celerons work with the 865PE chipset or will they need a 9xx being 64 bit? This could change things somewhat as the 9xx chipset motherboards are a lot more expensive.

Edit: Damn, it's 915 chipset only. I will have to look for another motherboard.
Edit 2 : Ah and 915 is PCI-E only as far as I can see... ouch...

I no, some 865pe mobo's to be 64 bit, i say 4 ghz should be atainable. with good
cooling and i think you would be better of going PCI - E if you must, or go 32bit

Ah, that looks a little better, well the 64bit version of the processor and the 32bit are pretty much exactly the same price. I cannot afford to go PCI-E at the moment or for quite a while so I am stuck with AGP. I will check to see if the MSI Neo3 865PE will take 64bit CPUs with a BIOS flash or whatever.

willkill1337 said:
Ah, that looks a little better, well the 64bit version of the processor and the 32bit are pretty much exactly the same price. I cannot afford to go PCI-E at the moment or for quite a while so I am stuck with AGP. I will check to see if the MSI Neo3 865PE will take 64bit CPUs with a BIOS flash or whatever.

I had the same thing in mind with my 865PE board (Soltek SL-865PE-775G) but all hope came crashing down when I emailed Soltek tech support and was told no EM64T bios would be made available. I replied back with the suggestion that they should mark this board as "discontinued" then.

This sucks because there are 64-bit support drivers for the i865 series and all that it needed is a bios (microcode?) update. Soltek seems unwilling to provide this support. Without this update, the 64-bit Celerons will flat out not POST, as it requires an update.

I have also emailed AMI regarding the matter, but they haven't responded at all yet. I was hoping maybe they can send some sort of generic bios that I may try out (sounds dumb, but you never know.)

I know for a fact that the MSI Neo3 865PE supports the Pentium 4 6XX and the Celeron D 351 (the top end new 64bit Celeron) but it hasn't been tested on the others. I would assume that they are going to work okay though but I'm waiting to see though. It's on MSI's website.

willkill1337 said:
I know for a fact that the MSI Neo3 865PE supports the Pentium 4 6XX and the Celeron D 351 (the top end new 64bit Celeron) but it hasn't been tested on the others. I would assume that they are going to work okay though but I'm waiting to see though. It's on MSI's website.

Damn, that is sweet. I am going to gather confirmed i865/875 motherboards with 64-bit support and shove the list down Solteks throat. I guess that MSI board is #1 on my list.

Now to find others. :)

amdhunter said:
Damn, that is sweet. I am going to gather confirmed i865/875 motherboards with 64-bit support and shove the list down Solteks throat. I guess that MSI board is #1 on my list.

Now to find others. :)

Well I have personally used an AS8 and a P5P800 with my 630 and 640 processors. And they work perfectly.

WaltS_2 said:
Well I have personally used an AS8 and a P5P800 with my 630 and 640 processors. And they work perfectly.

That is sweet. 2 more to shove down their throat. Hahah. :) Keep the list coming. :)

Back