• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lan connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{ace of spades}

Disabled
Right guys, i formatted my hard drive and put windows back on there but now i cant connect to the ADSL through my lan. Before i was just able to plug it in and be connected. I tried to set it up but it still didnt work. Could someone please give me a few pointers or a walkthrough.

me ---> :shrug:

Can you provide some more info? Your not using a router? Is your modem syncing up/dialing? Did you instal the software that came with the modem?

Have you checked your connection properties? What version of windows is it? I know with '95 it didn't have TCP/IP installed on it, which isn't good :). In Device Manager, can you see your LAN card?

Let us know...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys, unfortunatly i couldnt fix it before i left on holiday but im back now. Im running windows xp home. Im using a bt router. The cd's that came with the computer dont have any lan drivers or anything like that so no, i havent installed any drivers for it. How do i get into device manager? (newbi i know :()

As i said before, before i formatted my computer i just plugged the lan cable in and i had internet no problem, didnt have to install anything.

To get to device manager right-click on My Computer and choose properties. Clickon the Hardware tab. Then click the device manager button.

Look under 'Network Adapters'. Do you see your ethernet card/onboard port listed?

Yeah

"ethernet controler". It says "the drivers arnt installed" and it cant find the drivers on the HD and i dont have it on cd etc. Is it just a case of updating my driver?

Should be. If they're onboard, go to your motherboard maker's website and look for driver downloads. If it's a seperate card, go to the maker of thats website.

If all else fails, try Windows update for some generic drivers. You might have to look in the optional downloads as well.

Back