• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't you love Microsoft?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What you should be more upset about is if you recently bought a $3500 Hi Def TV set. People that use their PC as a media center device will be left out in the cold. (Of course XP will be just fine for now, but that's beside the point.) Don't think that Apple won't follow suit. They most certainly will. As will everyone else. (Yes, that includes Linux.)

They ( and we) might be forced to by law eventually.

Trusted Computing aka Palladium Technology is in Longhorn and Digital Rights Management incorporated into the chipset/processor/periferal components is the wave of the future.

Pentium-D has it and the Pentium-D chipsets might too. All they need is Longhorn to turn it on. AMD is going to have it soon.

Linux and OS-X will have to have it too or they eventually won't work on newer hardware.

Audioaficionado said:
They ( and we) might be forced to by law eventually.

Trusted Computing aka Palladium Technology is in Longhorn and Digital Rights Management incorporated into the chipset/processor/periferal components is the wave of the future.

Pentium-D has it and the Pentium-D chipsets might too. All they need is Longhorn to turn it on. AMD is going to have it soon.

Linux and OS-X will have to have it too or they eventually won't work on newer hardware.
oh noes! were all going to have to go underground and build beowulf clusters with old hardware!!1!!1

I liken the sorts of this garbage to that of the Y2K bug - "omg end of the world!!" *sky falls, planes crash, demons run around in circles*

Oh wait, that didn't happen.

koolaid said:
It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about if you don't watch a lot of hi-def material.

The problem with that is media is heading in that direction, especially DVD movies. Pretty soon other media formats will follow and put the same type of "protection" in their code. If there is a demand for high definition media, you can count on the makers of media to follow in that direction.

doesn't scare me as there will always be a hack/workaround. only thing they can do is make it so hard to get past security that only the l33test of the l33t will bother to do so.

You know that the week after Longhorn is released, some dude living in his parents' basement will figure out a way around every stupid restriction. He won't be afraid of getting arrested...How many crackers get arrested? There must be billions of hacks and cracks out there and no one gets arrested. Micro$oft sucks.

i'm sure this will be frowned upon, but ill be glad to use any hack to get around the BS, no matter how many laws it breaks. if the world is to a point where i am arrested for using my monitor, i tihnk id rather go back to my numb minded state in a cell than be putting up with this ****. and what will stop people from either modding the crap out of the current hardware, or new manufacturers from coming up with non-DRM BS'ed hardware. im sure that all of us would jump all over it, and they could quickly become number one, leaving intel and AMD behind with their "security" crap. i bet that when they're making large losses, they'd reconsider the security stuff.

a few questions
1) what happens to all CRT's?

2) where can we get a list of monitors that do support it? I don't want to spend 300-800 on a nice new monitor to have M$ render it useless. (I'm in particular concerned about the 2405fp)

many thanks

It's all part of the HDCP (high definition content protection) plan. Basically providers want a system where you cannot copy any copyrighted HD media, so Longhorn will not let you output HD media to a non-certified HD display (ie: so you can't plug in a DVD recorder to your DVI port).

You want a monitor that supports HDMI/HDCP.

Back