• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't you love Microsoft?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BaconTheory said:
Its now "Windows Vista" instead of Longhorn. But really, I'm definately going to hold off on Vista until someone does the right thing and hacks it so we can all use our current monitors without Microsoft bossing us around.
It would be wise to hold off anyway as it will take a year, if not longer, to get the bugs out of it.

Okay, from what I understand, this is what is going to happen.

If you want to watch protected content, most likely HD, it will play on both a protected AND unprotected monitor. The difference will be that it will show the full resolution on the protected while on the unprotected, it will degrade it, then re-inflate it to display (so as to keep full screen), significantly lowering the quality.

I think it’s shady either way and I’m guessing content providers will want even stronger controls than that, but that’s what Microsoft is saying at the moment.

Last edited:
Stop putting the blame on Microsoft. It's not their fault that people wish to protect their intellectual property. Come up with a better method of protecting copyrighted material and I'm sure you'd get some attention.

Wow! Some levelheadedness is definitely needed here!

Microsoft is not forcing anyone to do anything. If you want to upgrade, you do that of your own free will.

Just like when you switch to a new mobo that only supports DDR2 you realize you will have to buy new RAM. It's no different with software.

People expect MS to give them everything and that isn't how business works. If you want the latest and greatest in technology you have to pay for it just like everybody else.

Just like when you buy hardware you look for what matches it, and what is compatible. When you do that, you get rewarded with the fastest, and best performing system according to how much you paid for it.

One thing I have noticed is everybody assumes everybody will be upgrading except for a few. Going on that premise, that means everybody WANTS that software. Gee, I wonder why? Would you rather go back to the days of DoS?

Not me, I'll take my multimedia, multitasking, wiz band multifunction user friendly OS any day...even with some of it's downfalls.

BTW, yes I will probably upgrade. if it means getting a compatible monitor, then I will have to wait until I can afford it, but I don't think it's going to break the bank any. If at that time I do not have extra disposable income, I will wait until I do, and then will upgrade. I will continue to do that until somebody comes out with a more compatible better running OS. I don't see that happening anytime soon. :)

Yes BUT eventually everyone will have to get Longhorn if they want to have a secure (as secure as M$ gets) system because Microsoft will stop putting out updates for XP just like they did with 98 and ME and older OS's.

gustav said:
Yes BUT eventually everyone will have to get Longhorn if they want to have a secure (as secure as M$ gets) system because Microsoft will stop putting out updates for XP just like they did with 98 and ME and older OS's.

Thus the 'ole addage "you gotta' pay to play". If you want the latest and greatest, that cost money.

I would love to see the mainstream reject Longhorn (now called Vista) and decide to use an alternative OS like linux. Then Microsoft would fall right on it's face and go bankrupt. What a lovely day that would be.

So isn't this only for pirated videos? Why are you guys complaining then? Mad that you won't be able to STEAL anymore? It inevitably will be cracked, though, just like every other piece of software that's ever been made.

mage_x said:
So isn't this only for pirated videos? Why are you guys complaining then? Mad that you won't be able to STEAL anymore? It inevitably will be cracked, though, just like every other piece of software that's ever been made.

Not necessarily. If you have a monitor which does not support this, whether you bought a legit copy of a dvd or other media or have a pirated one, its still going to cut the resolution real low and then blow it up, making it look fuzzy and crappy. I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I think as long as you have a monitor which supports it, you could still view a pirated dvd or other media with the full resolution, unless there is something that will be physicaly on retail/legit copies (the disc maybe?) that will allow you to play the full resolution version. If its something in the coding which is more likely than the former, then I'm sure it could be cracked and probably will be.

gustav said:
Not necessarily. If you have a monitor which does not support this, whether you bought a legit copy of a dvd or other media or have a pirated one, its still going to cut the resolution real low and then blow it up, making it look fuzzy and crappy. I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I think as long as you have a monitor which supports it, you could still view a pirated dvd or other media with the full resolution, unless there is something that will be physicaly on retail/legit copies (the disc maybe?) that will allow you to play the full resolution version. If its something in the coding which is more likely than the former, then I'm sure it could be cracked and probably will be.
yup, basically if I go out and buy a new 24 inch dell monitor and use longhorn I wouldn't be able to watch a brand spankin new movie of the time that I just payed good money for. Personally I see it as an infringement on my rights, but I'm not a lawyer

gustav said:
What's the point of being able to view pirated video on the protected monitor and not being able to on the unprotected? That doesn't make sense. I don't think it effects real DVDs, that would just be plain stupid.

mage_x said:
What's the point of being able to view pirated video on the protected monitor and not being able to on the unprotected? That doesn't make sense. I don't think it effects real DVDs, that would just be plain stupid.
if you just bought a new dell 24 inch LCD for 800 longhorn will not allow you to watch a movie with this protection on it. Frankly I'm not willing to bet 800 dollars that someone will crack and, and crack it for everything I need. What if games are deemed protected content? can't crack the game or it'd be a punk buster violation probably.

Vaio said:
That is complete bull manure!

I would not call microsoft communist, but facist. Just so people now communism has nothing to do with all the bad things we accosiate it with facism does. Communism just means all the money in a country is distributed equally to all the people.

Vista is not public enemy no.1, Palladium is. It will physically make your computer locked from any tampering and let it monitor what you do and you are helpless. Pentium D has it already built in and vista is all it needs to activate it.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Edit: You could get to hdcp thing from a broken hdtv for cheap. Vista is going to be a hackers dream so many security flaw and so many microsoft claims to be unstoppable. It will be a competition for them when the beta comes out to see who can beat it first.

Edit:
mage_x said:

No with palladium you will not be able. Though some viruses can fry your hardware, meaning someone could make a virus that will disable vistas hdcp "trusting computing" and that other .......... in vista. It could also hit palladium in the hardware and destroy it.

Last edited:
Back