10 Year Badge

Filesharing over the net?!

My bro-in-law and me both have broadband cable. Lately we are sending eachother more and more files thru MSN or AIM but it's sloooooow and prolly unsafe. I have WS-FTP, can this be used to create our personal FTP-server and if so how? Or if anyone else knows a proggy we could use...
    :: Xeon E3-1220v2 @3745 on Asus P8H77-V with 8GB Corsair DDR3 @1712

Folding User Stats

If you have the WS-FTP server, you can. I know that there's a WS-FTP client that is pretty common. The two ftp servers I've had experience with are serv-u and bulletproof ftp server, but I'd say just about anything would get the job done. You may want to look into http://www.guildftpd.com/. It seems like an easy to setup and free ftp server.

Im out of bed, I made it to the keyboard. What more do you want!
    voip client but its 100% 128bit encrypt.... also fast connection. If you are talking via voice the connection is slowed but if ur just chatting via text with it the connection runs 100% fast as ur connection an safe!

< skype pwns! >

It depends on your situation, but Bittorrent would also work. You just make a torrent, and give him the tracker. Then you could set up multiple files for upload/download and regulate up/down speed too.

How big of files are you trying to send/recieve? How slow is slow? Your max download is going to be his max upload, and visa-versa. Most broadband connections can't upload more the 30-40kbps
    Antec P180 - Corsair HX520W - Dell 2005fpw
    Opteron 165 <Currently 280x9 1.35v>
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D - 2gb G.Skill 3-4-4-8@250mhz
    320gb+200gb Seagate - XFX 6800GS 500/1.2ghz
    Sound Blaster X-Fi - BA7900 5.1 Surround
    Thermalright XP-90C - <The Quiet Overclock>
    [ HEATWARE ]

10 Year Badge
    Mine is 55kps up and over 500kps down. I'll give that skype thingy a try tonight, and maybe the other tips as well...
    :: Xeon E3-1220v2 @3745 on Asus P8H77-V with 8GB Corsair DDR3 @1712

Folding User Stats

You also might want to consider waste (http://waste.sourceforge.net/) if you're after more of a p2p approach than just sending a file here and there. It's like a p2p program in the sense that you choose a folder (or folders) to share and such except the only people that can access it are the ones you decide to add to your server. It would be like having an ftp server on your computer as well as his and having access to it as long as both of you are connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot
    Mine is 55kps up and over 500kps down. I'll give that skype thingy a try tonight, and maybe the other tips as well...
    yea see this uses all upspeed, so if you can send at 50kb/s and he has the same connection and can send at 50kb/s most anything you use is still going to seem moderately slow as it's only 10% of the speeds your used to getting, although msn is probably giving you slower speeds than that even
    Intel i7 930 w/ Thermalright Ulra 120 extreme w/2x Scythe Slipstream Kaze
    3x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    MSI X58-A-GD45
    XFX HD5870 @ stock
    Auzentech X-fi Forte (headphones : Audio Technica ATH-AD700's IEM's: Hi-Fi Man RE0's)
    PCP&P Silencer 750 (black)
    HDD1 OCZ Agility 60gb SSD HDD2 WDBlack 1tb HDD3 Seagate1.5tb
    OCForums Metal Club member #187
    Heat

filezilla has a free ftp server and a free client. http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/