• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Intel Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Ok i know my stuff with AMD overclocking but im new as far as Intel.

Here is a SS of my CPU that i want to overclock:

CPU.jpg

He has a MSI Neo Something(cant remember but its got all overclockign options available)

He has got 1GB PC2700 Kingston Value RAM. With timings of 2-3-3-6.

He is running at 41C.

What type of voltage is the range with Intel Northwood processors and What temperatures are high and low?

Thanks, ps2cho

Ok i pushed it to 140 FSB without changing any other settings (timings or voltage)
Ran prime95 and it ran without errors.
Temps went up to about 57c.

Then i reboot and it locked up at boot everytime.
I tried 138 and it did the same.

Why wont it go higher?

EDIT: Looks like the problem was the CAS Latency. It was set at 1.5 in the BIOS so i just pushed it to 2.5 and set fsb to 145 and its booted.

1.472v @ 2606MHz so far.

EDIT AGAIN:

so far so good...
CPU2700.jpg

Last edited:
Temperatures are up to 65c full Prime95 load. I think im going to stop til i know what temperatures are too much

im pretty sure that northwood do run cooler. my prescott is running at 49c full load so at 65 u can run it at that but it is alittle too high, most pentium are rated at like 70-80c maximum temp but the temp readouts arnt always accurate so i would never actualy go anywhere near those temps.

eigther that or its the stock hsf. eigther way i wouldnt go any higher those temps are safe though. but for overclocking u wanna keep them around 55at most for load cause the hotter it is the less stable it will be at same mhz

It isnt a stock heatsink but i know the case is full of dust and i bet he has never reseated the heatsink. I will open it up tommorow and clean it out.

Yeah, low to mid 50's is about safe max with a Northwood. Clean things up, rearrange the cables for better air flow, maybe reapply some Arctic Silver, see if the case has room for another fan or two. Cutting out the case fan openings will help improve ventilation a lot.

Make sure you lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33. You could safely raise to vcore to 1.55v if you can improve cooling a little. With excellent cooling, 1.6v is ok too. I've seen a lot of the C1 stepping Northwoods hit 3 gig (your mileage may vary of course). If you could run 166 FSB, that will maximize your RAM (using the 1:1 ratio).

He has a MSI mobo, they droop voltage quite a bit. Definitely bump up the vcore a notch to compensate.

Well he doesnt want his vcore touched, he just wants a slight speed boost. He needs a GPU upgrade more than anything. A Ti 200 is pretty old. I'll be recommending him a 6800 NU or GT / x800 XL depending on how much he wants to spend

Back