• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From nVidia to ATI ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Well I'm kinda thinking of moving to a ATI X800 XT PE Card (made by gigabyte) (I can get a good deal). My Question is should I get rid of the 6800 Ultra I have now (listed in sig) and move to the ATI Card?

Note - I dont plan on going to PCI-e for a while (dont want to spend the funds on moving over)

So Im kinda stuck on what to do.

Will the ATI run my games better? (Farcry, Doom3, HL2, UT2003, UT2004)
is there any advantage ATI has over nVidia?

I would like to hear the pro's and con's of this if possible....

Thanks!

I'd get the X800, switch it with the Ultra, and then send me the Ultra for $4.19 LMFAO

But really, get the X800, see which one runs better. Whichever you don't like, sell. I'd personally stay with the 6800U cause i'm an nVidia fanboy, but thats just me.

ATI tends to run better on Direct 3D games. OpenGL, it's all Nvidia. Depends on what you're after with the card. In all, I think the Ultra is better.

my own lazy opinion is not to really bother, you could risk breaking a sweat installing the new card and essentially they are both very similar in performance although the X800XTPE is faster unless your some Doom3 fanatic or are particulary looking forward to Prey / Quake 4 / Quake Wars.

Here are some benchmark links concerning both cards:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2.html
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/radeon-x800xl/
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njk3
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2290

hope they help make your mind up,

Dan

id personally stick with Nvidia 6800ultra. better driver support and the doom 3 engine is openGL and will be seen in many more games im sure.

punkgamingmaste said:
id personally stick with Nvidia 6800ultra. better driver support and the doom 3 engine is openGL and will be seen in many more games im sure.

Monthly ATI driver updates is worse than once in a blue moon Nvidia? :(

Well Im waiting for the Quake 4 to come out... Love the game, Ill read through the article's when I get home.
Thanks for the links.

If your looking for Quake IV then stick with the Ultra, but if you play more often DX based games then go with the X800XT PE. I would personally take the X800 but thats because Doom III was boring, and I havent played another doom III engine game yet(Quake IV also doesnt interest me) compared to the countless DX games out there.

Either way, great cards and gaming ahead.

One thing that may or may not be a factor: nVidia have vastly superior Linux drivers. Thats what keeps me on nVidia, even though some ATi cards look pretty sweet :)

Well Im still undecided at this point.
Here is a question, has anyone with a X800 XT with vivo used the vivo part of it?
What other DX games are out there?

If I rember looking at benchmarks correctly the X800XT PE was like 5 fps or less better than the Ultra, in most games, the exception being Doom 3, that was Toms Hardware benchies

In the end I would I would say in most games they will perform about the same, with ATI you migh see an increase in performance in HL2 as opposed to doom 3

I would go with ATI because I think they have better image quality and I notice, I also like Overclocking ATI cards better, I like ATItool better than the nvidia option

Well I decided to go ahead and move over to ATI. So On its way is a X800 XT PE Card, I would like to see what this can do on my benching, over my 6800 Ultra.

another thing is the cooling. the ati x800XT PE is quieter (much smaller cooling) then a geforce 6800ultra... so if ur looking for a quiet pc. the geforce 6800ultra on stock cooling is a bad option ^^

Osirus said:
Well I decided to go ahead and move over to ATI. So On its way is a X800 XT PE Card, I would like to see what this can do on my benching, over my 6800 Ultra.

Bad Decision IMO. Ive gone nvidia everytime until last where I decided to get a 9800 AiW Pro. I dont like it, there are much more driver choices from nvidia than ati and to trade a 6800U for an X800XT gets me mad, maybe an X850XT would make more sense. Enjoy your nvidia while you still can because you will regret that decision as I have.

The new rig I just bought in my sig, I didnt even consider ati, just found the cheapes 7800GTX and if the 7800 wasnt out yet I would have gone with a 6800GT or Ultra. Ill never go with ATi again unless something drastic happens like the GeForce 5000 series.

Well after getting the other guys X800 XT PE, I came to find out it was DOA, and so I kept my 6800 Ultra. After this I dont think I will even go to ATI.

Back