• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice please-been out of the loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

So what Mobo and which cpu is the most prevalent now? 64bit wise and maybe even dual core. Been over at the AMD side and not sure what intel guys use these days to hit high overclocks. Thinking of coming back from the dark side. lol

The 478 CPU's are probably still the most prevelant, but there is definitely going to be a swing to the dual cores, and with the new runs of the 775 based 64bit dual cores coming out in early '06 with all that chache, there has never been a better time to switch back.

Many AMD fanboi's will debate this, but those CPU's are going to rule in everything there is. I have a freind that let me in on info about these about 3 months ago. He told me to wait if I was going to the dual cores. He said "You will see, just wait". I did, and now the rewards of waiting are paying off.

I was thinking about going with an AMD for a gaming rig, but when they pulled that stunt with the court case, that just did that in. I don't even look for them to be in buisness much longer, so i'm definitely not gonna invest in hardware from a company who is showing signs of going under. The things they are doing right now are suicidal, and meanwhile Intel is really doing their homework.

I've always liked the stability of the intel platform. Everything just works better. It runs smoother, things are more standarized, the chipsets are simply the best, and OC'ing one is a piece of cake. They may not set records in all of the beches, but in actual use, they run better IMO. I think those records are about to change however. Benchmarks LOVE cache, and they love memory bandwidth, and they love raw processing power. These new dual cores are going to beat out AMD in everything.

The CPU's are still *new*. There will be improvements in temps just like there was with the prescott's, and there will be improvements in mobo technology as there was with the Prescott based 775's. These 820's are new. When early 2006 rolls around some heads are gonna roll, and my bet is that mnay will be sticking with Intel.

Enthusiast want the most power (well, except for the fanboy's who are blinded by the brand name). The most power will come from these new CPU's that Intel is rolling out. If you look at the numbers, nothing comes remotely close to that level of technology. It is something I would've though would've been another 5 years in the making. I was shocked when I read about them.

when are they coming out? What are they called? Man I am so out of the loop. Yea I have a feeling AMD could very well go under in a few years so thats why I am planning on coming back too.

Back