• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazing Lapping done by a friend...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

My friend Jod shown me a picture of his P4:

IMG_1130.jpg

So I'm like, whats the big deal about that? Just an ordinary P4...till he shown me this:

IMG_1149.jpg

I haven't seen very many lap jobs done on a IHS, but that looks like something I can wear around my neck! He runs his P4 at something along the lines of 4.5ghz on Air....

SolidxSnake said:
millimeter graph-paper shot. Now..

For all I know, that could be polish.

I'm not aware if its polish, but even if it was it looks damn fine.

4.577ghz on Air (His attempt to beat my 1M PI time, failed :D <3 Jod)

3442187(1).jpg

just curious. yes, this is a bit of a bewbie question, but how do you lubricate your sandpaper for that? is there a how-to?

anyways, those perfectly lapped IHS have always impressed me. they really are great looking and you know that's gotta help out.

thoes 6x0's are f'in miracle overclockers... i swear to god

i lapped the IHS on my 3.0E, but i'm sure as hell not letting sandpaper anywhere near my 660ES when i get it... it already does 4.5ghz on air w/ stock voltage and 5.2 on dry ice w/ stock voltage... oh man, when i pump up the voltage on that, i'm aiming to smoke nikhsub1's WC overclock record :attn:

vanillasky said:
just curious. yes, this is a bit of a bewbie question, but how do you lubricate your sandpaper for that? is there a how-to?

anyways, those perfectly lapped IHS have always impressed me. they really are great looking and you know that's gotta help out.

Acording to what he told me, he used water as a lube.

Yeah, water should serve fine.

Cathar uses kerosene, AFAIK.

If you don't know who Cathar is, I feel you need to know.

He is very 'famous'. I consider him a god in lapping :D

No way mirror look is a grit paper work - believe me, I've done that many times. I usualy finnish with 2000 paper and it looks nowhere as clean as this. If you wanna achieve the mirror look effect you NEED to polish it as Solid has mentioned above.

Anyway, great job on the lapping - sweet to see enthusiast like myself! :p

Nice lapp job your budd did there ziggo0. :cool: Hope it performs well for you.

gofra said:
No way mirror look is a grit paper work - believe me, I've done that many times. I usualy finnish with 2000 paper and it looks nowhere as clean as this. If you wanna achieve the mirror look effect you NEED to polish it as Solid has mentioned above.

Anyway, great job on the lapping - sweet to see enthusiast like myself! :p

Sorry but you can get such a finish with grit paper. Have done it myself
many MANY times.
You can use Kerosene but that brings it's own problems. IMhO water is the
best "lube" in this context.

I'm going to have to check out Cathar's work SolidSnake. "Lapping God"?
We should compare work/notes. :D

Last edited:
yeah, i know who cathar is. look at my join date, hehe. i've been a lurker for quite some time. i don't have the guts to do something like that on my A64. i guess i'd do it in a heartbeat if i wanted to squeeze the last bit out of my cooling.

Kerosene does keep the sand paper from curling, which is the biggest problem with water. It also evaporates cleaner than water.

CJ

s random said:
ever try to just take off the heatspeader... i think that'd work better :p

Can't do that w/ current P4s. Or at least thats my understanding. They do something where if you try to remove the IHS it kills the CPU. something about soldering the IHS to the core :eh?:

Back