• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are these "grand canyons" on AthlonXP's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
I've seen a few articles referring to gaps, or trenches on AthlonXPs that somehow interfere with unlocking. Can someone give me a pic to explain this? (Or a really good text explaination!)

Its the L! bridges, they used to be a flat chip surface to connect on, now there is actually a little "ditch" dug in between the 2 unconnected bridges, so you cannot directly connect the 2, you just find something to fill the bridges and then connect it

ok, you know with the L1 bridges that you usually have to connect? well, they are flat. in the new xp chips, there is not only a gap between the contacts, but there is also a "pit" or a trench. this doesnt allow you to simply use a pencil. you have to either fill in the trench, then pencil it in, or, use a conductive material to fill in the trench, AND connect contatcs.

here is a CRUDE pic.

contact 1--> __ __ <-- contact 2
\__/

No, I see what you guys are saying.

Wouldn't it make sense to use an ultra-fine tip soldering iron to solder over the gaps, or even a thick conductive paint? It would come out something like this:

The problem with soldering is Frying the chips...some have done it sucsefuly..others have not...

Angry said:
The problem with soldering is Frying the chips...some have done it sucsefuly..others have not...

Then window-defogger repair paste. Use masking tape to isolate a single bridge, and slother between the tape edges. Repeat 3 more times. Boom, bang. Done.

yeah, that works.

many people have been using a high heat tolerant compound to fill the gaps first. then, you are pretty much a the same point you would be with an old tbird or duron...

either way, you will have to viod the warranty.

I don't see why those little tape things wouldn't work either... Y'know, they go for about $20 for 2 of 'em. It's a piece of sticky plastic with 4 little strips of adhesive metal that you just kind of "tape" to the bridges.

Back