• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD Hard drive related?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Hello,
I am trying to fix my aunts Dell 4700C. It gets a BAOD qhwn trying to boot into XP (home I would assume).

Anyway, I ran hard drive diagnostics and got a return code of 7. What exactly does this code mean?

I googled it, and it looked like the HD is dead. It brought up a thread on another forum where they had a 4700 with a Maxtor drive, as ours does, that got this. They were speaking as though the drive was dead for good. Is this the absolute truth?

I think it could be due to the fact that it was placed in a small cabinet with no ventilation and left on for a long time in this New Jersey heat spell.

Thanks for any help/advice.

does that dell have the ABCD LEDs on the back panel? Those led codes help a lot in figuring out what's wrong. At work we have had several parts in various dells die lately (including an unusual amount of GF2 mx's) so maybe the hd just gave up. Just get another 80GB hd while they are on sale for 30-40 somewhere.

-N

Back