• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hrm. Gentoo stages...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Alright, I've used gentoo quite a few times, I've done stage1, stage3, never saw a point in doing stage2. I'm a big debian fan, I've had the best luck with it out of everything, but I'll admit gentoo is quite nice.

I've noticed people on the gentoo forums telling people to just stage3, especially when looking into installing gentoo on my friend's amd64 rig. I was wondering if there's any real advantage to stage1? I haven't noticed any difference myself, except installation time which don't really bother me much.

If you do a stage three, Ive read that you should rebuild the toolchain with the same compiler that the system was built with. If you do a stage one you wouldn't need to do this.

i've done stage 1 and stage 3

i've noticed no appreciable difference in speed

I am part of the minority. I did a stage 2 and enjoyed it.

I have actually done all of them, and I just liked doing the stage 2. Never had any problems out of it.

You can do what is nearly a stage 1 by doing a stage 3 then using:

emerge world

which will rebuild every package on the system that is in the portage database. This is not quite everything because it misses out a few packages which are installed but not in the portage database. You should also do an emerge world when changing between major revisions of GCC.

I have done the stage 3 with the rebuild of the toolchain and I do find that it is a little more responsive than a standard stage 1 or 3 install. However that being said...the performance gain by doing a stage 3 and rebuilding the toolchain is a result of better optimizations through gcc-3.4.x. This link is to the Gentoo forums thread for the process. Here is the website for the Jackass project which has the stage 3 tarballs available already done with the gcc-3.4.x optimized toolchain as a shortcut to the end result.

If you make no substantial changes to your cflags, don't expect a stage 1 to buy you anything. If you go for aggressive optimization, you can see some speed difference.

Back