• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q about replacing onboard wifi on lappy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m3x1c4nj3w

Disabled
I'm gonna get a i9300 pretty soon and I've read about people having disconnection issues with the Intel 2200 and 2915 wireless cards. What is the best internal wireless card out right now? I heard that if you take out the Intel wifi cards, the laptop will not be a "centrino" anymore. What's so special about it being centrino and just another Pentium M + wifi?

i believe centrino is the power consumption ratings. there are lot of minipci wireless cards, but some draw alot of power, too much for a laptop's power circuits (they're designed for routers for wireless ISPs.) theres a nice fancy 400mw one, but i doubt that a laptop could handle it. if it wasnt for the price and risk, id grab onefor m laptop and find out. if i was under warranty id do it, and if it killed the laptop just get it fixed, caus i havnt been able to find anything saying how muchthe mpci slot can handle.

theres some mpci cards here:
http://www.wisp-router.com/index.php?cPath=35_51

basically any minipci card should work.

Back