• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sell me on this DFI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Son1990

Lanparty NF4-SLI-DR

Is it worth getting over the Asus A8N Deluxe that I have now? What are diffrent between the two? Anymore information would help.

~Ken

I have noticed tho that the asus seems to become unstable after a bit. Will this DFI solve everything? Does it have the same nforce4 probloms the A8N has?

RedDragonXXX said:
It’s definitely worth getting since it has way more tweaking capabilities then ASUS board and its rock stable.

DFI boards are strange. They have been known to fry the hell out of ram. Four redline sticks = dead from two boards in a row >.< And when you post for help you get BIOS this version, you want this one. Stick with the Asus.

1) Rock solid mobo
2)Doesnt filet ram regularly. [this was 2 sticks per board with me]
3)You dont need to update your BIOS weekly to find out your at risk of destroying some part of your computer.

Oh yeah they have good customer support, probably because they freakin blow up all the time. Sorry to vent this, but this is the only manufacturer to which I have ever had a problem with. And just so it wasnt my ps, after the third time rma'ing the redline alpped them in an A8N btw everythign ran fine.
I guess you either love or hate DFI.

Thanks. Iv just not been happy with the asus but im sure ASUS will fix it soon.

ryanmartini said:
DFI boards are strange. They have been known to fry the hell out of ram. Four redline sticks = dead from two boards in a row >.< And when you post for help you get BIOS this version, you want this one. Stick with the Asus.

Well that's not the board problem that fried your RAM, its you or whoever else it is. There are certain techniques that you need to use when it comes to OC'ing the RAM and you probably just switched the 4V jumper and gave it to much voltage. That doesn't give you the right to go out and bash the board cause you don't know how to use it.

DFI have been acclaimed long ago the best NF4 boards out and will give you better performance than any other board out there. If you don't believe me look around the forums and see which is the most used board by fellow OC'ers.

Get the DFI board, you will be glad trust me. I had A8N-SLI Deluxe and the difference is huge. There is no comparison between these boards. ASUS makes good products no question about it but DFI has better NF4 board.

uh oh now I think I want the DFI. What changes will I see?

~Ken

There is a reason why DFI has the hold on all the Benchmark WR's. Go with the DFI and be patient and smart. You may be overwhelmed by the number of options this board has, but if you give yourself time to get to know the board, you will love thoughs options, as they will be the ones that give you the lead over the Asus boards in the benchmarks.

RedDragonXXX said:
Well that's not the board problem that fried your RAM, its you or whoever else it is. There are certain techniques that you need to use when it comes to OC'ing the RAM and you probably just switched the 4V jumper and gave it to much voltage. That doesn't give you the right to go out and bash the board cause you don't know how to use it.

DFI have been acclaimed long ago the best NF4 boards out and will give you better performance than any other board out there. If you don't believe me look around the forums and see which is the most used board by fellow OC'ers.

Get the DFI board, you will be glad trust me. I had A8N-SLI Deluxe and the difference is huge. There is no comparison between these boards. ASUS makes good products no question about it but DFI has better NF4 board.

Ok so please elaborate on how to fix it before the first bootup both times. I am an A+ technition and I always have a static bracelet on. And it was just a stobootup no fancy jumpers set right then, so if DFI has improved since then, it should be a nice board.

Last edited:
ryanmartini said:
Ok so please elaborate on how to fix it before the first bootup both times. I am an A+ technition and I always have a static bracelet on. And it was just a stobootup no fancy jumpers set right then, so if DFI has improved since then, it should be a nice board.

???

I'm not sure that I understand what the problem is that you are having, can you shed more light?

MailOrderSausag said:
it's dfi! that should sell you right there! i want to make love to my dfi mobo, and it's a s754!!!!

same here im running the 754 but i have the 939 in the box waiting from some more stuffthe 754 was my first dfi mb and i love it

What DFI board did you have?

Also, if you had everything set to Auto, or just selected some random settings for you timings, you can easily overdo your ram. I respect that your A+ and all, but unless you were overclocking like crazy via windows, or had your voltage up to high, I dont see why you would fry the ram. No mobo manufacturer is perfect and we all get our case of a faulty mobo, that may be your deal. Ive had a faulty mobo or to but it didnt cause me to not like the company.

These boards are picky about RAM Son1990. They really seem to like G.Skill TCCD. UTT based sticks have had there share of problems with DFI. I am using UTT and it works great with this board. My PSU's 3.3v and 5v rails are week(wicked 12v rail though, 36AMPS!) and slightly undervolt so I am limited with the 4v jumper trick, but all in all, if you just do some research (DFI stable settings thread a good place to start, and DFI-street.com), you should be ok.

ryanmartini said:

by the way, its technician...

RedDragonXXX said:

RedDragon is right. If you kill RAM in this board, it is most likely the user's fault. I don't care how many years people have been overclocking, or how many tinfoil hats people wear while messing inside the case: this board is different than many previous boards and requires some reading and lots of caution when using it.

The DFI NF4 board has a weird way of still sending vdimm voltage to the RAM even when the computer fully shut down but still has the power plugged into the board and the rocker switch in the on position. If you swap memory or remove/insert memory while its plugged in, or the switch set to ON on your PSU, your memory is receiving volts right when you plug it in.

Would you put a molex connector from your PSU into a hard drive while your computer is running? Well, some people do, and those people are (idiots and) in danger of a power surge and frying their PSU and other parts in their computer. Why take the risk because they're too lazy to shut down the computer? (I know SATA claims hot-swappability but I'll stick to the old-fashion powering down before adding power to a new component.)

Would you replace a wall socket after unplugging everything from the sockets in the room and turning off the overhead light and the alarm clock? No, you wouldn't, because current is still flowing and hasn't been cut off at the breaker. Contrary to popular beliefe, it seems, power is still going to the board and moving components around = no-no.

Please read the following thread over at DFI-Street.com that talks about the "cold boot" problem some users seem to have with UTT (I don't, with my Redline, and they aren't dead either) and a lot more info about how this board handles power, which is what is causing dead ram, unbootable RAM at high voltage and lots of headaches for some users:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12687

@Son
Read up on DFI NF4 board, how people tweak their settings, what components people are using (check sigs of posts around here) and see the success they have with this board, be patient and read read read before buying this board. I did two months of research on this forum and www.dfi-street.com (DFI official forum) before building my rig. More people at www.dfi-street.com may have this board and could possibly give you advice on switching from the Asus.

Son1990 said:
Lanparty NF4-SLI-DR

Is it worth getting over the Asus A8N Deluxe that I have now? What are diffrent between the two? Anymore information would help.

~Ken

You need to decide what you want. Do you want the most stable board or do you want to be able to squeeze the most performance from your components. If you want stablity get the Asus board. If you want the BEST overclocking board buy the DFI and expect to do a lot reading on this forum and DFI Street to get all of the settings correct or you will have issues. It all boils down to what you want and what your expectations are.

Back