• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c ing a Pentium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twinkle

I was wondering why i cant push the clock multiplers on 1st gen Pentiums over 2x. I have a pentium 75 running at 133 thats 66x2 and a 90 running at 120 60x2. Temp is not an issue they just won't boot when I rase the multiplyer? Any help would be nice.

How do you know it's not a heat related problem? Actually, that's pretty good overclocking for those old P-I CPUs. Seems like they always liked lower multipliers and higher FSB. Won't the P-90 run at 2X66 too?

I'm fairly sure it is not a heat problem because the heat sinks on both of them are in full contact with the processors but are not very hot. I am fairly sure the 90 wont boot at 2x66 becase if it had I would have left it there and not on 2x60.

Twinkle said:
I'm fairly sure it is not a heat problem because the heat sinks on both of them are in full contact with the processors but are not very hot. I am fairly sure the 90 wont boot at 2x66 becase if it had I would have left it there and not on 2x60.

It is the processer itself that is limiting the overclocking. Some aren't that stable at all past the stock speed. Take the 120Mhz Pentium...I have had a couple of these and they will not overclock. Now go to the Pentium 133Mhz. I can easily hit 200Mhz with them. What happened is Intel made a chip and then tested it for stock cpu speed. If a 133 wasn't stable they declocked it to 120. I hope this info helps.

Back