Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered Admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    20

    A8V deluxe- promise controller settings

    Was wondering, is there any way to run two SATA drives in RAID and a single IDE on the promise controller ?

    From what I've tried it seems you either set it to RAID mode in the bios and it doesn't see the single IDE drive, appears in the RAID utility as unallocated (since ther isn't another IDE drive to pair it with) or you set it to IDE mode, sees all drives, but the SATA drives are detected as single drives and not as a RAID matrix.

  2. #2
    SU(3) Moderator
    Super Nade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    9,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral
    Was wondering, is there any way to run two SATA drives in RAID and a single IDE on the promise controller ?

    From what I've tried it seems you either set it to RAID mode in the bios and it doesn't see the single IDE drive, appears in the RAID utility as unallocated (since ther isn't another IDE drive to pair it with) or you set it to IDE mode, sees all drives, but the SATA drives are detected as single drives and not as a RAID matrix.
    Mate,

    I don't think that is possible.
    Motherboard Repair Tutorial || Power Supply Repair Tutorial || A Closer Look at PSU Signals ||
    Understanding SMPS Technology
    || ASUS P5K Capacitor mod || Kernel Compile Guide || Guide to Wiping an SSD

    Build in progress
    ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L

  3. #3
    Registered Admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    20
    Thought so, thanks anyway

  4. #4
    Member vulcanman09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    475
    actually yes you can
    cannot remember where i read it from
    but it said to set both sata and single ide
    drives to master
    winxp and other files were copied to all 3 drives

  5. #5
    Registered Admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    20
    Err, I don't think there is such a thing as master for SATA drives

  6. #6
    Member vulcanman09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    475
    er! sorry
    just set the ide drive to master

  7. #7
    Registered Admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    20
    Well, it was set as master, just doesn't seem to work. As I said in the first post, it either sees the RAID and doesn't detect the IDE drive in Windows or it sees all drives as single drives.
    It's not like there's an option for RAID+IDE in the BIOS, just RAID or IDE mode.

  8. #8
    Member vulcanman09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    475
    did you install f6 via raid drivers prior to installing winxp
    promise controllers are a little bit quirky
    after the 1st post screen you will see the promise bios screen
    press whatever buttons it tells you to enter the promise bios
    you have 3 options
    performance / security / the 3rd 1 i cannot remember
    if you want raid 0 set it to performance
    if you want raid 0 + 1 set it to security
    each drive should show up in each sata port
    sata 0 = maxtor ******
    sata 1 = maxtor ******
    i will test myself after i get another board to test

  9. #9
    SU(3) Moderator
    Super Nade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    9,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral
    Well, it was set as master, just doesn't seem to work. As I said in the first post, it either sees the RAID and doesn't detect the IDE drive in Windows or it sees all drives as single drives.
    It's not like there's an option for RAID+IDE in the BIOS, just RAID or IDE mode.
    RAID=SATA+IDE is supported only by the NF4 boards. The K8T800Pro does not support this feature.
    Motherboard Repair Tutorial || Power Supply Repair Tutorial || A Closer Look at PSU Signals ||
    Understanding SMPS Technology
    || ASUS P5K Capacitor mod || Kernel Compile Guide || Guide to Wiping an SSD

    Build in progress
    ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral
    Was wondering, is there any way to run two SATA drives in RAID and a single IDE on the promise controller ?

    From what I've tried it seems you either set it to RAID mode in the bios and it doesn't see the single IDE drive, appears in the RAID utility as unallocated (since ther isn't another IDE drive to pair it with) or you set it to IDE mode, sees all drives, but the SATA drives are detected as single drives and not as a RAID matrix.
    no, only on the via controller

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcanman09
    did you install f6 via raid drivers prior to installing winxp
    promise controllers are a little bit quirky
    really? all I got was crap from my via sata controller and resorted to the promise in raid and had 0 issues. dunno why but I could NOT get the via controller drivers loaded correctly and windows just ignored them and kept telling me there were no hds hooked up to the system. weird. I got it working fine with the promise. no questions just wanted to comment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •