• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8V deluxe- promise controller settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Admiral

Registered
Was wondering, is there any way to run two SATA drives in RAID and a single IDE on the promise controller ?

From what I've tried it seems you either set it to RAID mode in the bios and it doesn't see the single IDE drive, appears in the RAID utility as unallocated (since ther isn't another IDE drive to pair it with) or you set it to IDE mode, sees all drives, but the SATA drives are detected as single drives and not as a RAID matrix.

Admiral said:
Was wondering, is there any way to run two SATA drives in RAID and a single IDE on the promise controller ?

From what I've tried it seems you either set it to RAID mode in the bios and it doesn't see the single IDE drive, appears in the RAID utility as unallocated (since ther isn't another IDE drive to pair it with) or you set it to IDE mode, sees all drives, but the SATA drives are detected as single drives and not as a RAID matrix.

Mate,

I don't think that is possible.

actually yes you can
cannot remember where i read it from
but it said to set both sata and single ide
drives to master
winxp and other files were copied to all 3 drives

Well, it was set as master, just doesn't seem to work. As I said in the first post, it either sees the RAID and doesn't detect the IDE drive in Windows or it sees all drives as single drives.
It's not like there's an option for RAID+IDE in the BIOS, just RAID or IDE mode.

did you install f6 via raid drivers prior to installing winxp
promise controllers are a little bit quirky
after the 1st post screen you will see the promise bios screen
press whatever buttons it tells you to enter the promise bios
you have 3 options
performance / security / the 3rd 1 i cannot remember
if you want raid 0 set it to performance
if you want raid 0 + 1 set it to security
each drive should show up in each sata port
sata 0 = maxtor ******
sata 1 = maxtor ******
i will test myself after i get another board to test

Admiral said:
Well, it was set as master, just doesn't seem to work. As I said in the first post, it either sees the RAID and doesn't detect the IDE drive in Windows or it sees all drives as single drives.
It's not like there's an option for RAID+IDE in the BIOS, just RAID or IDE mode.

RAID=SATA+IDE is supported only by the NF4 boards. The K8T800Pro does not support this feature.

Admiral said:

no, only on the via controller

vulcanman09 said:
did you install f6 via raid drivers prior to installing winxp
promise controllers are a little bit quirky

really? all I got was crap from my via sata controller and resorted to the promise in raid and had 0 issues. dunno why but I could NOT get the via controller drivers loaded correctly and windows just ignored them and kept telling me there were no hds hooked up to the system. weird. I got it working fine with the promise. no questions just wanted to comment. :)

Back