• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW new Razer mouse coming out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
going from 400dpi to 2000dpi you don't think you would notice a difference gastro54? i'm afraid you're mistaken.

koss20100 said:
not really ... i have to disagree .. i tried out a razor at a lan and the teflon feet make this thing glide on clean wood .. i just felt a difference .. will it make you a better gamer NO !! will it react faster and more accuratley YES .. . jus my 2 cents ..
Sorry if I didn't clarify - what I meant was that you wont find a tangible difference in precision or tracking performance between optical mouse A and optical mouse B. You are correct to say that a difference in sliding behavior of a mouse can cause a noticable discrepancy between mouse A and mouse B. People have different tastes in what they like when it comes to mousing. I personally hate the feel of platic/glass mousing surfaces which is why I use a cloth pad.

what about differences in dpi? switching from a cheap logitech optical bundle to a diamondback is a HUGE change. this mouse offers more dpi than any other currently on the market and also uses the laser technology to offer better tracking on uniform surfaces. laser mice track fine on uniform surfaces that regular optical mice would have trouble with.

gastro54 said:
Sorry if I didn't clarify - what I meant was that you wont find a tangible difference in precision or tracking performance between optical mouse A and optical mouse B. You are correct to say that a difference in sliding behavior of a mouse can cause a noticable discrepancy between mouse A and mouse B. People have different tastes in what they like when it comes to mousing. I personally hate the feel of platic/glass mousing surfaces which is why I use a cloth pad.

And I still have you say you are wrong. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between a standard optical mouse and a 1600dpi mouse. Trust me, I didn't think there was any difference.

For starters, it is TONS more sensitive. Once you turn down your sensitivity, you will notice it is smoother in movement, as well as more accurate. Don't believe me? Get one.

1cem4n said:
Once you go with a razer, you won't go back. After getting numerous kills just by being able to move my crosshair faster(solid knows this), I was sure it wasn't just me.

As for LEDs being distracting, I look at my monitor, not at my mouse and all mouses have LEDs except for ballmouse. and you WILL notice a difference between a crap mouse and a Nice 1600dpi Gaming Mouse.

-1cem4n
There are many professional gamers, ie people whose living is based on whether or not they win tournaments / matches, who use the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 or Intellimouse 1.1. If such a great improvement is to be had from switching to a higher resolution/sampling rate why do they still use outdated, "crappy" technology?
Look at team3D and complexity - 2 of the best CS teams in the world, last a I checked, none of the players from those two teams uses a razer mouse.

I still maintain that the most important factor in a mouse is the ergonomics - how it moves acros surfaces, how your hand fits it, button positioning, etc. And with ergonomics, it all comes down to taste, and there is no arguing over that.

i agree ergonomics are the most important factor, but many people have slight degrees of flexability. obviously no one has the same hand, and each person has to make sacrifices. but once you know what shape you prefer, wouldn't you want the highest dpi, best tracking mouse? and did you see mine and solidxsnakes replys? these higher tech mice are better. you seem to be saying that if you had a ball mouse with ergonomics that were a bit preferable you wouldnt think of using one of these mice.

zip22 said:
i agree ergonomics are the most important factor, but many people have slight degrees of flexability. obviously no one has the same hand, and each person has to make sacrifices. but once you know what shape you prefer, wouldn't you want the highest dpi, best tracking mouse? and did you see mine and solidxsnakes replys? these higher tech mice are better. you seem to be saying that if you had a ball mouse with ergonomics that were a bit preferable you wouldnt think of using one of these mice.
If you mean to say that higher tech mice are better because the greater dpi or what have you, I would have to say that the claim is unsupported. I have yet to see any quantitative data that supports the argument that having higher dpi (beyond a certain point of course - you are obviously going to notice a difference between 1dpi and 1000dpi) will translate into real world perfomance. Once you get past a certain threshold, you are entering the land of massively decreasing gains.
EDIT: as for ball mice: I don't like the feel that the ball makes when it rolls around inside the mouse, I'd much prefer to have something with no moving internal parts.

Last edited:
i agree, but that threshold is determined by how precise your hand movement can be. i do not think it has been reached yet, as i am able to use my razer at maximum sensitivity and still think i could go higher.

zip22 said:
i do not think it has been reached yet
Thats where we disagree, it seems.
A lot of allure of razer mice is the marketing. They have a visually appealing website that promotes their product very well. I especially like the razer tatoos and "Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity." :)

I would be interested in a razer mouse for the customizable weights - that sounds like a good idea, but I do not like the symmetrical shape that the current line has.

ah, but its nice for the 10% of the world the other brands have abandoned.

the reason i chose the razer was indeed its ergonomics. at the time, the mx518 and the razer were neck and neck, and i prefered the profile of the razer. i like to be able to relax my hand to let some air in between it and the mouse, and it was tougher with the mx518.

I like the mx518, I like having the scrolling thumbs, buttons. I have gotten so used to them, that when I use someone else computer, I tend to use my thumb lol..

gastro54 said:
There are many professional gamers, ie people whose living is based on whether or not they win tournaments / matches, who use the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 or Intellimouse 1.1. If such a great improvement is to be had from switching to a higher resolution/sampling rate why do they still use outdated, "crappy" technology?
Look at team3D and complexity - 2 of the best CS teams in the world, last a I checked, none of the players from those two teams uses a razer mouse.

I still maintain that the most important factor in a mouse is the ergonomics - how it moves acros surfaces, how your hand fits it, button positioning, etc. And with ergonomics, it all comes down to taste, and there is no arguing over that.

Look at SK, they are a professional team and they all use Razers. the Intellimouse series is good but what I meant by crap mouse is something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826129001

-1cem4n

i like the razor mice, but i need more then 3 buttons, i preffer around 5 for voice comm and stuff like that, unless i am mistaken these are all only 3 right?

I must be the only righty alive who prefers an ambi mouse? I LOVE my mx310 to bits. My friend has a 510 or whatever, the super-ergo one, yeah it's comfy, but impossible to use if your hand is busy with a sandwich :p

xCRF450 said:
i like the razor mice, but i need more then 3 buttons, i preffer around 5 for voice comm and stuff like that, unless i am mistaken these are all only 3 right?

The 1000dpi Viper has 2 buttons(not including mouse wheel), and the 1600dpi Diamondback has 6(not including mouse wheel).

-1cem4n

Back