• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista, for those who havent seen it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, I was wondering if Beta 1 is 32 or 64. I have a copy and am about to install it on a extra HDD. I will post my thoughts afterwards. I was planning on formatting windows anyways, so maybe I will stick with Beta 1 for a while if there are no serious bugs that will drive me nuts.

I dont think Aug 3rd will be the release date of RC1. More like Beta2.

Beta 1 should be in 32bit and 64bit flavors. I'm going to install the 64bit a little later on.

bth said:
Hey guys, I was wondering why I was flooded with PMs this morning :)
your welcome :D oh and I got accepted so thanks. I downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit flavors, Longhorn server is next :santa:

Has anyone messed with high definition video yet? Are those stupid "security" features even on there?

One more thing: you mentioned that its on a dvd; will they be releasing it on cds too?

Last edited:
whats the difference between 32bit and 64... im a noob....

how is the compatibility of video games and multimedia programs?
msnmessenger....

where did you get those special video drives... or you just use the normal ones?

TazExtreme3 said:
your welcome :D oh and I got accepted so thanks. I downloaded both the 32 bit and 64 bit flavors, Longhorn server is next :santa:
Lucky! :cool:
He didnt reply to me, oh well i guess i need to wait until it comes out or a public beta comes out.

Osirus said:
Yes it comes in 64bit, I havent had a chance to install that, as I only have 1 machine to do so on, rest assure though I will install it and give it a try.

You become a MSDN or Technet subscriber, you get all the new beta stuff and 'gold' stuff when its made.

yes good ol technet :/ thought it was a waste of money at first :) but found out differently..

btw dont count on it being called VISTA, if you know anything which i do because i playtest at microsoft once a month at least :) i love 20minutes south of the main redmon office :)

microsoft is being sued .. full info quoted

Microsoft may have to alter Vista - [General]
Submitted by Forcefire on 7/25/2005 2:56:32 PM 12 Comments

Microsoft may be in trouble for naming its forthcoming operating system Vista after it transpired that the name has been registered by an American company for nearly six years.

Vista, which operates a small business internet interchange, is actually based in Microsoft's home town of Redmond. It was started in May 2000 by John Wall, the founder of Wall Data and an erstwhile investor in SCO.
"We are going to consider our options and talk to Microsoft," Wall told The Seattle Times. Vista has not yet filed suit against the software giant.
Microsoft announced the new name for its operating system on Friday and said that the first beta code would be available on 3 August.

"There is no more Longhorn; it is now officially Windows Vista," said Kevin Johnson, group vice president of Microsoft's worldwide sales, marketing and services.

Hey i least i got Xp to look somewhat like vista..:D
untitled.jpg

geestring said:
whats the difference between 32bit and 64... im a noob....

how is the compatibility of video games and multimedia programs?
msnmessenger....

where did you get those special video drives... or you just use the normal ones?
nvidia and ati came out with beta drivers specifically for the windows vista beta.

Well, I got around to installing Vista, and so far so good. It is really something you have to see. You see screen caps of the desktop and transparent windows, but you dont see the zoom/fade opening/closing of windows and stuff like that.

Another interesting thing is that Vista Beta1 comes with MSIE 7. Things are rearranged a but, and it also has tabbed windows like Opera or Firefox.

My nVidia videocard was automatically installed, and works great, but the screen blinks sometimes... not sure what that is about. It is mostly in text fields.

I just had IE7 die on me, but only one window closed, not all of them as commonly happens.

MSIE7.JPG

Oroka Sempai - I have the 32bit version of the nvidia drivers, PM if you want them.
Your right about the zooming of the windows and stuff, I like it a lot.

Is there a basic resource monitor such as task manager?

More directly, how much memory does a fresh Vista install use with no extra programs loaded (just the OS and drivers) and no tweaks compared to the same setup of XP?

When I checked it, it was using 485mb of Ram. Yes Task Manager is still there, I didnt get a screenie of that one, but I can without a problem.

Minimum system requirements will not be known until summer 2006 at the earliest. However, these guidelines provide useful estimates:

• 512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM

• A dedicated graphics card with DirectX® 9.0 support

• A modern, Intel Pentium- or AMD Athlon-based PC.

Osirus said:
When I checked it, it was using 485mb of Ram. Yes Task Manager is still there, I didnt get a screenie of that one, but I can without a problem.

Holy sweet jesus. . . . .that's with nothing running? Booted up and just sitting there idle?

Good god.

:O im using 169mb at bootup augh thats insane! if i ever switch my server over to that it'll die! i have everything optimized @ 69mb at startup!

Yes, that is with nothing installed, nothing running. Ive seen it jump up to 600mb, of couse I was copying 11gb (4450 mp3's) from my storage drive, to the Vista drive.

I think I only have 1 program installed, which is winRAR.

Back