• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista, for those who havent seen it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Osirus said:
Yes, that is with nothing installed, nothing running. Ive seen it jump up to 600mb, of couse I was copying 11gb (4450 mp3's) from my storage drive, to the Vista drive.

I think I only have 1 program installed, which is winRAR.

wow, you think that this number will be lower in the next betas/retail? or is that just the amount of ram required for the operating system to maintain the graphics and such?

I think it will be around that number for the OS to handle all the new things in Vista. If you have it runnning on a comp, its very nice, it does a lot of neat things, which would require alot of ram. If you have a gig of ram, you wont notice any differnce in speed or performance.

Damn. I'm going to keep in mind this is beta. . . .but I had kinda been hoping they would have gotten smoother with their resource management (i.e. using less than XP does).

But I guess they just figure that pimp hardware and uber RAM are relatively cheap these days. . . :p

Yeah, also MS is going to release 7 or so versions of the OS. Aimed at differnet user groups, I dont notice the usage of 500mb of ram. If you have 512mb then you might notice a differnce, but with 1gb, I dont.

says somewhere that the ati drivers come with the beta1?

haha I read that IE7 wont be w3c compliant etc.... unexceptable.

yeah I read that too. As far as I know the drivers dont come with them, you can download them from various sites, just do a google search. I only have the nVidia ones as I have a nvidia card.

Right now I would say no. I havent been able to test alot of programs on it. I will install Photoshop tonight and some others to see if / how it works. I have yet to have IE7 or Vista crash on me.

Well, I was just writing a post and was trying to get a screen cap of the login screen... and it didnt seem to be working, so in my true fashion, I hit the print screen buttion about 30 time in 5 seconds... and poof! Hello crash. Now mind you, I have new hardware, so it MAY be a hardware issue that I havent identified and corrected.

Osirus: Thanks for the offer. If I need it I will give you a PM, but for now, I am having alot of luck with XP drivers, so I will keep trying that. I was worried about my wifi nic, but I got it working. The add new hardware stuff seems a bit flakey, but I managed to install the driver via the device manager.

The install of Vista was very easy, just about the only thing you really needed to do was enter your cd-key and hit next a few times. Nothing more than that. The interesting thing is that the installation came out to be nearly 5gb! And I was wondering why my 5gb partition wasnt enough space on my first install attempt ;) The install screens were really bland, obviously a place holder for something else. There was one screen that said somethign to the effect of 'Completing install process, do not restart computer'. There was a green progress bar that keept filling up, over and over again. If it wasnt for the HDD LED on my case showing HDD activity, I might have thought it was frozen doing the same thing over and over. There are no percentage, no facts about new features, no indication of what is being done. Just a progress bar.

I know that will be changed, but I would like to see something that is worth looking at. A percentage along with the progress bar, some new feature facts, and a spot showing that task and file is being used at that moment. I think it would be really great to see some video displaying new features of Vista. Vista is most likely going to be shipped on DVD, so why not use all 4.7gb, or 8gb of a DL! It is never too eairly to impress your customers.

Also, the login screen is bland, it has the exact background as the install screen. Another place holder. A new login screen needs to be configurable. I seen in a old release of Longhorn that they had a clock on the Login screen. Stuff like that. Time, weather, stock or news ticker, and maybe a way to control WMP from the login. I know I hate when people leave thier computers running with crappy music running, then I cant do anything about it cause thier account is passworded. A simple, Play, Pause, previous, next and volume plug-in would be nice. Maybe it could be a add on you can buy from M$ for say $20, or something that only genuine users can download from M$.

What are the diffrent versions that will be released? I heard there will be 7 versions atleast.

Home
Pro
MCE
Tablet
Server
64bit?
Other Server?

I really dont care if IE7 is W3C compliant... it never was 100%. When I design websites, I design for IE. If I am in a caring mood, I will see how Netscape and Firefox handles it. Really, the only thing I really really want to see in IE7 is proper transparent 24bit PNG support.

I also noticed that IE7 has a default search window up top which you can choose from Google, AOL, Jeeves, MSN, and Yahoo search.

MSIE7_search.jpg

Yes the OS's will be as you stated, but more along the lines of this
Starter
Home
Pro
Vista Server (I would assume thats the name, although MS calls it Longhorn Server)
Vista x64bit (Which is what I will get when they release it end of Q4 06)

I did install some tv capture card drivers made for XP on Vista, it went smooth without problems. Havent installed the software yet, Im still testing on my system to ensure highest ghz at 100% stable.

Like you, I liked the whole installing of the OS, a lot less effort on our parts, Im sure MS will include all the new features in the install screens just like XP has.

Im sure the Disk size will increase when they add WinFX and Indigo, I would assume those would be in the next beta 2.

I think they are available on the Vista website. I just downloaded something from the vista page. there is a link on the desktop named 'Learn_more_about_Avalon_and_Indigo', and it points you to the files.

The actual page it is on is HERE. The description of the file:

"Download the WinFX Runtime Components Beta 1
Microsoft has provided a version of the WinFX Runtime Components Beta 1 (which includes the Windows Presentation Foundation (formerly code name "Avalon") and the Windows Communication Foundation (formerly code name "Indigo")) for the general public."

::edit::

Started installing it.

winfs.jpg

Last edited:
Found a interesting little app in the control panel... Parental control!

parental1.jpg

parental2.jpg

parental3.jpg

parental4.jpg

::edit::

I was just installing winamp and got this:
winamp.jpg

I cancled the install, and the winamp install said that the cdburning options might now work, and completed installation. Seems to be working fine now though.

Last edited:
Have you tried Nero at all?

I thought the Parental controls is great. Gives more power over the kids if they want to try and screw something up.

How do you like IE7? I've heard mixed reviews. Some say it's not really any different than 6, but just has tabbed browsing.

Also, does the beta have the Avalon interface?

are those special ati drivers only for 64bit... i get two files x64 and x86 i have the 32bit vista.... am i supposed to use the normal xp drivers then?

Also my chipset drivers that i have wont install.... were they automatically installed by Vista?

Back