• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista, for those who havent seen it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IE7 is ok, like you said, there isnt much differnce with the IE7 and IE6, other then tabbed browsing, they also have a feature called 'phishing protection' What it does is scan the site you are on for suspious content and stuff. For example when I visit the OCforums.com it blocks the advertisments on the site.

Avalon isnt in this beta, but is rumored to be in the next beta.

i dunno as others have said it just looks like a flashier version of xp with more os types to choose from so that OEM's can stick it to everybody who wants copies...i really don't wanna see what standards and pricings come with these once they release, and with the sale of OEM's that normally switch pretty fast it will definately gain base fairly decently i would assume

Yes I have the 32bit version, currently nVidia doesnt have 64bit drivers out for it yet, so Im using 32bit. Yes ATI released 32bit and 64bit versions of there drivers.

Ive heard some games will, but with the drivers that ATI and Nvidia provide dont have performance in mind. There just test drivers to see if it works. I havent tried any games yet, and Im not sure if I want to.

well the ATi one i have two versions x64 and x86 errr is x86 32bit?

willthe normal xp drivers work?

also im getting problems with chipset drivers and sound drivers.

There are special versions of the drivers there LDDM drivers, speicaly made for Longhorn (Vista)

Your board might not be supported with the drivers.
If your using the Asus board as listed in your sig, you might have problems there, as I dont know if MS included all the drivers or any for that matter for that i875 chipset.

Vista looks like a waste of time to me. They added a couple of nifty GUI enhancements. About all I'd consider somewhat good. My XP barely passes 1 bar when it's loading into the login screen. When I log in, programs are done loading in a bit more than 7 seconds. Thats 15+ programs on a 160gb hard drive that is filled. If you take care of your computer, you wont need to buy a new operating system to make it faster.

Well, as it stands now, Vista does feel like a upgraded XP. Honestly, I cant understand why there is/was a nearly 4 year delay of when Longhorn was supposed to be released (2003). Now, really, you have to remember that it is still a 18 months from final release, and there are obviously alot of stuff that has not been added to the OS. I mean, I was looking at a help file, and the help file said [insert optional title here] 1. insert first step here 2. insert second step here. WinFX and Indego will be with the final release, and I am 50/50 on the WinFS being done on time.

Alot of the core technologies are missing, alot of SP2 was proably designed for Avalon, but got shunted to XP cause M$ was taking a beating over the security issues. Since XP was released, the net has become a vastly diffrent place. These days, you are the minority if you dont have a computer and are connected to the internet. We download movies, music, games, chat with friends around the planet, converce on forums about stuff, research info, buy stuff, meet people, order pizza, pay your bills and flame n00bs. Hell, our language is even changing because of the internet. OMG, WTF, ROTFLMAO, AFAIK, IMHO. Hell, I see homestar runner t-shirts around all the time. There is alot of opportunity for unscrupulous people to take advantage of joe user. I will knock M$ for not looking forward and see this comming, but hey Bill Gates may be rich, and smart, but he is not perfect, nor are any of the industry best programmers he employs.

MSIE 7 is mostly the same a 6, just some tabbed windows and a visual make-over. I havent gotten around to checking if 24bit PNGs work yet...

I will proably install nero tonight, but I did use WMP to burn a audio CD for work, and it burned fine.

Very Nice.. I would have to agree with you on all points stated, I dont understand why it has taken MS 4 years to develop Longhorn, I mean they banged out 98, 2000 and XP within a few years of eachother, not to mention a Media Center and Tablet Edition of XP in the span it has taken them to release this.

So I dont know, We will see in the next up coming months how much farther it develops.

Osirus said:
Very Nice.. I would have to agree with you on all points stated, I dont understand why it has taken MS 4 years to develop Longhorn, I mean they banged out 98, 2000 and XP within a few years of eachother, not to mention a Media Center and Tablet Edition of XP in the span it has taken them to release this.

So I dont know, We will see in the next up coming months how much farther it develops.

Exactly. No idea why it has taken this long to develop and come out. I can't see anything in particular that explains such a long development. I hope there's something stupidly awesome up their sleeve with this OS that's taking 4-5 years to make, but I'm not seeing it so far.

If there was such a long development time to be had between different versions of windows, I would have thought it'd be going from 98 to 2000/Xp, considering how different they are. Vista just looks like XP 2.0

I think the major thing that was in development was Avalon, Indigo, WinFS and Aero. Aero is what you see now, winFS and Avalon are rumerd to be out of the RTM Build. winFS is supposed to be top notice file system, who knows how much of that is true.
Of what it is now, I like Vista alot more then I like XP. Mainly because you can make XP look like any flavor of prior MS OS. You can do the same in Vista, but it still has a differnet look to it.

Osirus said:
I think the major thing that was in development was Avalon, Indigo, WinFS and Aero. Aero is what you see now, winFS and Avalon are rumerd to be out of the RTM Build. winFS is supposed to be top notice file system, who knows how much of that is true.
Of what it is now, I like Vista alot more then I like XP. Mainly because you can make XP look like any flavor of prior MS OS. You can do the same in Vista, but it still has a differnet look to it.

I like making XP look like 2000, since the default XP theme looks way too cute-sy and cartoonish - I feel like I'm in kindergarten on a 24th century See-N-Say or something.

Yeah I agree with you on that one, Ive been using the 'Classic' look on XP since the day I installed it. I always called the XP interface the 'Fisher-Price' look. Im having a problem with Vista currently, but cannot discuse it further. I just cant wait till nVidia release's x64 bit drivers.

Well, that is why I use windowblinds ALL the time. Actually, I use a remake of the blue Luna skin, but it is not as thick, the colors have been adjusted to be less 'fisher price', and it has a compact start menu.

As for the delay, it must have been a redirecting of thier priorities. Security became a huge issue, so the proably went back to the drawing board and started from scratch. Also, previous releases of Longhorn have had some things simular to Vista, but in a much more basic version. So it seems like they have slowly been experementing with stuff. I do miss the old 'My Hardware' I seen in a older release :(

I used Windowblinds for a long time, but it seemed to bog my system down A LOT, so I dont use it anymore. Dunno though, we will have to see how it works out in the long run.

Back