• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista, for those who havent seen it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
heh yup i was just about planning to download windowblinds but i heard it slows down your computer etc. and uses up memorys

how about daemon tools anyone install that... that totally killed Vista... crashed my computer and the it wouldnt boot up vista anymore

cripy said:
I have 2gigs of memory in my machine running vista and i dont even hit 250mb usage.

Whats REALLY sad is that your slowest rig, Number 3 is faster than my current rig... :bang head

geestring said:
so no one with an asus board installed their chipsets?

Im not sure...

devicemanager.jpg

Is that what you are looking for?

I see no reason to switch. XP, for me, has been a joy. XP would be a pile of crap without the limited account, though. I don't know why people refuse to use this account. It's there for a reason! I think many people simply don't understand the runas feature well enough. Though it doesn't surprise me that microsoft doesn't go out of there way to tell people about it.

Thank you limited account!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I know there are new features in Vista, but not nearly enough to get me to buy it.

Ummm... you cant buy vista. Know why? Cause it is not nearly finished. Really, all we are seeing is a warmed over XP. At this state, it might as well be SP3, cause it isnt at a point where it can be a truly new OS. Alot of the stuff that will be in the final version of Vista is simply not there yet, the things that will make Vista... Vista will be added over the next 18 months. This release is ment as a eairly test, to start working out bugs, and impliment new technology. There will be furure releases, they will have issues too, I guarentee it. I think it is great cause it finally show that M$ has stepped upto the plate and publically annouced that Longhorn is not just a side project anymore.

So my suggestion to you is to not go out and buy Vista untill M$ finishes it. If you cant find a copy down at Best Buy, and you deperatly feel the need, I will sell you a copy for $400USD.

Vista is incomplete, it is not a replacement for XP, YET. I am getting sick of people saying they see no reason to upgrade. I agree, there is no reason to upgrade, cause Microsoft Windows Vista does not exist as a commercial product. It is available to a small group of people who want a eairly look at Microsoft's latest wares, some who want to help sort out any bugs, and test new technology. So, unless you want to play with a new, yet far from complete product, dont upgrade to Vista. Windows XP is a far more complete product, you are better off sticking to that.

Last edited:
Oroka Sempai said:
Vista is incomplete, it is not a replacement for XP, YET. I am getting sick of people saying they see no reason to upgrade. I agree, there is no reason to upgrade, cause Microsoft Windows Vista does not exist as a commercial product.

Windows Vista becoming a complete "commercial product" is not a legitimate reason to upgrade. Granted, everything to be known about Vista is not known at this time. Who knows, maybe they'll shock us with something substantive in the coming months.

There are plenty of awful products in development, does that mean we should rush to buy them when they are "complete"? I think not.

I'm not trying to twist your words or anything, this is just my i-net opinon.

On a side note for those who don't want to upgrade, when Vista is released, there will be an update for XP to make it look like Vista. As far as i know from reading about it, it will contain aero and possiably winfx. But this is still a ways off. I think Vista definatly has potential. Can't wait to see it up close and personal.

When Vista is released, I will be buying it. I think it has great potienal over XP. I like it and will use it until its released.

....... said:
Windows Vista becoming a complete "commercial product" is not a legitimate reason to upgrade. Granted, everything to be known about Vista is not known at this time. Who knows, maybe they'll shock us with something substantive in the coming months.

There are plenty of awful products in development, does that mean we should rush to buy them when they are "complete"? I think not.

I'm not trying to twist your words or anything, this is just my i-net opinon.

Well... that train of thought is flawed. What about Windows 98? Great OS, I used it right up till XP was released, and then I still had 98 as a dual boot for about another year after that. But why upgrade? What did XP have over 98? They both had task bars, start menus, played music, burned CDs, downloaded pron just fine. Why am I not still using 98?

I remember when XP was still in beta, it wasnt overly great in its eairly stages. Sure, there were a few bells and whistles... but it was just that, bells and whistles.

I dont suggest you rush out and buy it jsut cause it is new... I doubt you would jump off any tall buildings just cause everyone else is doing it either. Vista will be a signifigant leap over XP, the same as XP was over 98. Sure, you can still use 3.1 or 95 if you want, they will be functional for nearly all your computer needs... but alot of the little stuff that makes a new OS better will be missing. Remember how much more difficult it was to set up a network on 98 than it was on XP? Hell, I remember setting up networks on 95 at my highschool. Not fun. Vista will be about improvements over XP, not a vastly diffrent computer experiance.

Now, when Vista is finally out on the shelfs, I wont buy it right away, I will proably wait 6 months for it to shake out any birthing issues. XP is a good OS recently since SP2 and other updates, it is a great OS. Vista will be an improvement on a great OS.

Sorry if I am comming off a bit harsh, but I am of the mind 'dont knock it till you try it'. No one has tried the final product, so people should hold thier final opinions untill the end product is infront of your fingers.

I agree with the above statement to the fulliest. I however went from 3.1 to 98. Then I got on the beta testing program for Win2000. Ive beta tested a lot of the OS's out there and would have to say Vista is the biggest jump from one OS to another. I like the way it makes things easier for you to do, same like XP did for networking and just like win2000 did for intergating windows media player into each window. Giving the user the ability to play music or vid's without opening a media player.

that os is beautiful... i know it is missing some features.
i have seen it running on a machine and it seems awesome. i love the drivers features, and the installation time.
could be a very nice stable o/s when it is completed.

Yes there will be a public beta, just like there was for XP and 2000. Every beta comes with a 180 day timebomb on it. Which means it will stop working all together after 180 days. Yeah the built in wireless is nice, I would like to use it, but I have no need for it, as Im on a closed network anyways.

Back