• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista, for those who havent seen it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Ok, Well I finally got around to installing Windows Vista on my machine... I didnt have a way to take pictures of the actul setup or I would have. But I have some tempting screenshots for you guys...
This gives you an Idea of what the main windows look like.
vista1.JPG

This is the formally 'My Pictures' folder, its now called 'Pictures'... Also note on the left side, in the preview pane, it actully shows you some of the pictures in the folder.
vista2.JPG

This is your basic transfer from one folder to another, what it is showing is more detailed information on the transfer.
vista3.JPG

This one and the next one I tried to get the 'Window disapering' as it minimizes to the taskbar.
vista4.JPG

vista5.JPG

This is IE7 with Tabs, just like you would see in firefox. Also is included a preview of the 'Pictures' Folder.
vista6.JPG

What are my thoughts on the Beta Windows Vista? Well I would have to say I like it alot more then the Windows XP look. All though it does have the same 'rough' theme to it, but I really like the transparenices and the window fading in and out, seems to run really smooth as well for being in Beta1. Driver support isnt really there, I have installed the nVidia LDDM (Longhorn Display Driver Mode) Alpha Forceware driver, it works very well, but however is just a testing driver, no performance gains have been added to it.
It was tough finding a Audio driver for my Audigy 2ZS Platinum, but I was able to locate one and it installed fine and works very well. nVidia also has a Alpha version of there Audio and Ethernet drivers. However Windows Vista didnt require any drivers for the Ethernet hardware.

All and all Im impressed with it, One thing I cant get over is the fact that the DVD contains 2.56GB of Data for the Windows Install. It took around 4GB-5GB to install Vista. I cant want to see winFX and Aero in the next version, which will be Beta2.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

The only thing I want to know is: If I'm running Windows XP.... why should I upgrade to Vista? What does it do that XP doesn't? What market is this OS marketed for? Should people that do e-mail and blogs upgrade? Gamers? Workstations? Home users?

Any info anyone wants to share would be great. This is a good post, and I'm happy to see interesting screenshots of the new OS.

To me it was faster then XP... Boot times are insanly faster then XP.
No I didnt need SATA drivers or anything, only time I needed drivers was for the video card and audio

Yeah, I got mine this past week. Just been able to install. Alot of the features arent all implemented yet, such as WinFX, Indigo, etc...

ps... cripy, shoot me off a PM on the status.

Will windows vista aka longhorn, be made 64?

[thread crap]
BTW, I'm waiting for the x86 OS X Tiger!!! :p
[/thread crap]

lilxvietxboi said:
Will windows vista aka longhorn, be made 64?

[thread crap]
BTW, I'm waiting for the x86 OS X Tiger!!! :p
[/thread crap]

Well, one hope for such a thing as native 64-bit and smp/dual-core support. Otherwise why has it been so many years for something that looks like it's XP 2.0. Of course I've never installed it or used it or anything so I don't know about it's internals and whatnot. . . .but here's hoping it's got some low level, fundamental improvements and upgrades.

If the most basic version comes with 64-bit support and hopefully dual-core support, all the major software can't be far behind. Cross fingers.

Yes it comes in 64bit, I havent had a chance to install that, as I only have 1 machine to do so on, rest assure though I will install it and give it a try.

You become a MSDN or Technet subscriber, you get all the new beta stuff and 'gold' stuff when its made.

ati said:
how do you get a copy of vista?
pm bth and get an invite to the beta program as said here
bth said:
I can't guarantee enrollment but can try... if interested IM me the following:

First and Last Name
Company Name (If applicable)
Shipping address (No PO Boxes – our carriers only ship to street addresses)
Microsoft Passport ID (A requirement for any Microsoft Beta Tester)
Phone Number
Email Address

Brian

Hey guys, I was wondering why I was flooded with PMs this morning :)

I'm not sure if the beta is still open or not for nominees ... I'll check within the next couple of days, but wanted to at least say something; Even for the other guys I've nominated, it may have been too late, I'm not quite sure.

-Brian

Back