• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

19" CRT is comparable to 17" LCD etc. RUBBISH!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

This really, really annoys me.

Why do people say this when it's utterly incorrect?

A 19" CRT is measurable at 18", 17.7" at the very least.

Same goes for for 17" CRTs, there's never a difference of more than 1.3" less than the stated diagonal measurement on a CRT. So why do people claim that LCDs have a comparable screen size to a CRT that is 1" bigger?

I've had a 19" CRT for years that has an 18" viewable area and have upgraded to a 20.1" LCD, but for years people have been saying that a 19" CRT is comparable to a 17" LCD. I've always argued this into the ground.

A 19" CRT is quite obviously much bigger than a 17" LCD.

Sorry, this just really annoys me... :bang head

:shrug:

Yeah, it happens. I usually end up explaining the entire theory of sizing CRT's and LCD's by the time I'm done talking about it to someone.

The real issue is how CRT size is measured in the first place. Who cares about anything aside from viewable area? You would think companies would not even want to advertise how much extra desk space their monitor wastes with non viewable space...

I heard a view years back that in the UK, CRT manufacturers had to start advertising the viewable area by law. Half of them still don't...

voodoomelon said:
A 19" CRT is quite obviously much bigger than a 17" LCD.

Sorry, this just really annoys me... :bang head

:shrug:

It is 1" bigger.

LCDs are all measured by panel size.

^yup...true. My "19" CRT Iiyama is exactly an inch bigger than dads 17" LCD

I know it's 1" bigger, that's my point.
Sure it's only 1", but that's a big diffference and hardly "comparable" to an LCD of 1" smaller.

;)

No there really isn't a point.

There are very few 18" LCDs to compare to a 19" CRT.

A 17" LCD is cheaper than a 19" LCD, and they both run the same resolution, so there is little point in upgrading to a 19" LCD.

A 17" LCD is close enough to a 19" CRT.

{PMS}fishy said:
No there really isn't a point.

There are very few 18" LCDs to compare to a 19" CRT.

A 17" LCD is cheaper than a 19" LCD, and they both run the same resolution, so there is little point in upgrading to a 19" LCD.

Depends on what you are upgrading from. I would definately upgrade from a 19" CRT to a 19" LCD. And even moreso upgrade from a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD.

What I would not do is upgrade from a 17" LCD to a 19" CRT.

CGR said:
Depends on what you are upgrading from. I would definately upgrade from a 19" CRT to a 19" LCD. And even moreso upgrade from a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD.

What I would not do is upgrade from a 17" LCD to a 19" CRT.

A 17" LCD to a 19" LCD is not an upgrade. Pretty much every 17/19 LCD run 1280x1024.

Whats the point of going bigger if you can't have a larger desktop?

A 19" CRT to a 17/19" LCD is more of a sidestep than anything.

It would be a down grade for me, as I run 1600x1200. I'd need a 21" LCD to consider it an upgrade.

Upgrading from a 19 CRT to a 19 LCD is IMHO downgrading. Maximum resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280 X 1024 < so you actualy gain nothing. If you're used to run on 1600 X 1280 on your CRT you'll even be loosing space! Ok, its not that big and o.k. your eyes will be thankfull but if you ask me, its not worth it, especially not because 19" LCD cost more than 17" LCDs.

Upgrading from a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD...do I need to say anything? Just dont do it...

Now, upgrading from a 19" CRT to a 17" LCD...well, if you dont need space (I allways need more space....I mean...who doesnt?!), if you only run one thing at the time (office apps, notepad, internet browser), if you're running outta space on your desk and if you need your eyes rested than go for it. 17" LCDs are the best LCDs available today (Samsung) and with the prices today it could even be you wont regret it.

Bigger LCDs, such as 18", 20", 23" or more are (again, IMHO - and I'vee seen plenty) are just not worth buying. Picture quality cannot match with the quality of ther big brothers (well, some of them). Contrast sucks, ghosting is still noticeable (test them, dont trust what folks say!)...I was just about to buy a 20" Dell but changed my mind when I came home and realised that my 5yr old Iiyama produces far better picture. Ok. , I work with graphics but still...

Anyway, dont mind me - was just thinking loud here ;)

How about upgrading 2 damaged 17" CRTs at 1152x864 to 19" LCDs?

I think UPS f'ed up my dads CRTs when they shipped them. They had problems when I first turned them on but it cleared up after a few minutes so I didnt worry about it. Now 2 years later the screens suck! Blury as all hell. Was thinking about getting him to get 2 19" 8ms Acer LCDs.

JT

Although 8ms sounds yummy...why not go for a 2 X 17 LCD? I mean, you'll pay less and have the same resolution. The only difference between a 17" and a 19" is in the size of the dot. So, unles you're half blind (no offense ;), you shuold go for a 2 X 17 combo...

Well like I said it is for my dad. 19" would be slightly better for his eyes. He has a pair of eyeglasses just for working on his computer and another pair for normal every day tasks. Fun fun :D And as he said "When you are already spending $250 for an LCD why not just go $50 more and get a bigger one? It isnt that much more"

JT

{PMS}fishy said:

No no, my point is getting lost here, i'm talking about size only, not cost etc.

You see advertisements for 15" & 17" LCDs etc saying that they are "comparable to 17" & 19" CRTs" when they're not, they're an inch smaller.

i.e:

17" LCD (viewable area comparable to 19" CRT).

You see this everywhere and it's not true. That's the only point i'm making.
And I withdraw my earlier comment of whether I have a point or not.

I clearly do...

voodoomelon said:
No no, my point is getting lost here, i'm talking about size only, not cost etc.

You see advertisements for 15" & 17" LCDs etc saying that they are "comparable to 17" & 19" CRTs" when they're not, they're an inch smaller.

i.e:

17" LCD (viewable area comparable to 19" CRT).

You see this everywhere and it's not true. That's the only point i'm making.
And I withdraw my earlier comment of whether I have a point or not.

I clearly do...

You fail to see my point.

19" CRT can display typically 1600x1200, where as a 19" LCD can display 1280x1024.

Sure, the LCD is 1" bigger, but actuall desktop space is smaller.

A 19" CRT is better than a 19" LCD and smaller all day, every day. Only down side is the space it takes up.

{PMS}fishy said:
A 19" CRT is better than a 19" LCD and smaller all day, every day. Only down side is the space it takes up.

Yup, I agree.

So please folks, stop saying they're comparable when they ain't!

:)

Back