• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

19" CRT is comparable to 17" LCD etc. RUBBISH!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
{PMS}fishy said:
A 17" LCD to a 19" LCD is not an upgrade. Pretty much every 17/19 LCD run 1280x1024.

Whats the point of going bigger if you can't have a larger desktop?

A 19" CRT to a 17/19" LCD is more of a sidestep than anything.

It would be a down grade for me, as I run 1600x1200. I'd need a 21" LCD to consider it an upgrade.

Because most 17" LCD's have native 1024x768 resolutions whereas 19" have 1280x1024. I currently use my 19" CRT in 1024x768 because I am far sighted and anything bigger is a little small for me to focus on. If I were to get a 19" LCD i could go up to 1280x1024 since it is an inch larger overall.

CGR said:
Because most 17" LCD's have native 1024x768 resolutions whereas 19" have 1280x1024. I currently use my 19" CRT in 1024x768 because I am far sighted and anything bigger is a little small for me to focus on. If I were to get a 19" LCD i could go up to 1280x1024 since it is an inch larger overall.

Most 17"s have 1280x1024.

Only the very first and very crappy 17"s have anything less.

JTanczos said:
They had problems when I first turned them on but it cleared up after a few minutes so I didnt worry about it. Now 2 years later the screens suck! Blury as all hell.

Those symptoms sound like symptoms of possibly bad caps in the monitor!!!

http://badcaps.net

The founder and owner of Badcaps.net had to recap monitors. One of the symptoms did include video that was messed up then cleared up after being on for some time.

My 15" LCD is very comparable to most 17" CRT's, however I think that's because my LCD is weird and is 15.7" viewable.

The rest of it is probally just because an LCD looks so crisp and clear compared to your ol curved 19" so the LCD just "feels" bigger.

{PMS}fishy said:
Most 17"s have 1280x1024.

Only the very first and very crappy 17"s have anything less.

I am using a new HP 17" lcd and it has a native of 1024x768. This does not mean I cannot go higher, I can go all the way to 2048x1546 however it goes off the screen if i do that..

voodoomelon said:
Yup, I agree.

So please folks, stop saying they're comparable when they ain't!

:)

I agree, not comparable.....

And as with all things, SIZE does Matter! :cool:

CGR said:
I am using a new HP 17" lcd and it has a native of 1024x768. This does not mean I cannot go higher, I can go all the way to 2048x1546 however it goes off the screen if i do that..

Uh, ok. If you set a larger res, and have to scroll off the screen, the panel does not support it, and its not what I was talking about.

They are. You can compare them. An MX-5 can be compared Merc SLK AMG they can be compared on the basis that the are both drop tops. So you can compare them as the both have there pros and cons and are Approx the same size. Thats just my opinion. And to plenty of people the only Res they are interested in is the one that is being used in the game. And if your GFX cant support the ultra high res of a CRT or if you CRT doesnt really support anything above 1024x768 without droping to 60HZ.

{PMS}fishy said:
A 17" LCD to a 19" LCD is not an upgrade. Pretty much every 17/19 LCD run 1280x1024.

Whats the point of going bigger if you can't have a larger desktop?

A 19" CRT to a 17/19" LCD is more of a sidestep than anything.

It would be a down grade for me, as I run 1600x1200. I'd need a 21" LCD to consider it an upgrade.

It's all very subjective at this point. I purchased 19" LCDs for my new setup and have found them much easier to use than my 17" screens were. With my old, nearsigted vision, the 19's are better for me as everything is just a bit bigger.

denz_1 said:
They are. You can compare them. An MX-5 can be compared Merc SLK AMG they can be compared on the basis that the are both drop tops. So you can compare them as the both have there pros and cons and are Approx the same size.

God, is this thread still going? lol

Of course you can compare them, you can compare a mouse to a skyscraper if you want.

I was clearly talking about size and a 15" LCD is not comparable in size to a 17" CRT. Once again, it may only be an inch but that's a whole lot in the world of monitors.

There is a lesson to be learned with this thread... And I think that lesson is "dont go to ocforums if you have been drinking" :)

Lol, just because people are trying to start arguements on alternative, supposedly related topics, doesn't mean I had no point in the first place...

my friend's 19 inch trinitron is measured via screen size... i'd always wondered why his crt looked bigger than my old one

Back